Become a Sustainability Ambassador!
The Office of Campus Sustainability is recruiting a team of paid and volunteer student Sustainability Ambassadors for the 2021-22 academic year. We seek students who enjoy working as a team of peers, have excellent verbal communication skills, and can easily and naturally connect with fellow students and key campus partners. The Office of Campus Sustainability is forming three Sustainability Ambassador teams:
- Beyond Plastics Team
- Sustainable & Inclusive Food Team
- Carbon Neutrality Team
Modality of Engagement
Sustainability Ambassadors meet in-person on campus once-a-week as a team and will have additional meetings with campus partners as needed. Ongoing team communications and collaboration are supported through Slack and Microsoft Teams. Occasionally we host group meetings for all Sustainability Ambassadors to build community, exchange ideas, and share team progress.
Student engagement around each team’s particular theme is also a dimension of each team’s efforts.
Responsibilities of All Sustainability Ambassadors throughout the Year
- Training/Orientation – New and returning Sustainability Ambassadors will attend an orientation program to launch the program for the 2021-22 year. This program may take place for a few hours on a Saturday or over one or two evenings on a weekday. Exact dates TBD. Participation in this training is mandatory.
- Regular Team Meetings – Sustainability Ambassadors meet for one hour each week during the semester to plan activities to carry out the goals of their team.
- Meetings with campus partners - Some additional meetings may be scheduled outside of the regular weekly meeting with key campus partners to build relationships
- Utilize team technology - Stay connected with your team and all Sustainability Ambassadors through Slack and Microsoft Teams
- Student Engagement - At times throughout the year, you may choose to engage fellow students via tabling around your team's focus area, develop a thematically related social media campaign and/or conduct independent research on a particular sustainability strategy related to your team's focus area
Responsibilities of the Sustainability Ambassador Team Leaders
- Setting the tone and leading the team
- Facilitating the team conversation about what each team will focus on this fall and how the team will carry out this work
- Planning meetings, developing agendas, and facilitating team meetings
- Coordinating logistics (scheduling meetings) and email/text communications within the team
- Inspiring and motivating student volunteer Sustainability Ambassadors
- Meeting weekly with all Sustainability Ambassador team leaders
Sustainability Ambassadors have:
- A passion for the three dimensions of sustainability (social, economic, and environmental) and the Global Goals for Sustainable Development
- Experience with sustainability whether through student organizations, living-learning communities, prior employment, or academic courses and programs
- Excellent verbal communication skills, are enthusiastic and are able to motivate and inspire other students
- Skills that directly relate to the team responsibilities described above including:
- Being a self-starter
- Able to work effectively in teams
- Experience with making things happen at SUNY New Paltz (ie. logistics) (or a willingness to learn)
- Good at public speaking
- Effective at mobilizing volunteers
- Self-motivated and able to work independently (there is no office space available for students)
Sustainability Ambassador team leaders are employees of the Office of Campus Sustainability and will report to Campus Sustainability Coordinator Lisa Mitten. Sustainability Ambassador team members are volunteers of the Office of Campus Sustainability.
Online Application & Timeline
Please click here to access the Sustainability Ambassador application. Applications are due Sunday, October 17.
Please email Campus Sustainability Coordinator Lisa Mitten at email@example.com with any questions!