Become a Sustainability Ambassador!
- Carbon Neutrality
- Moving Beyond Plastics
- Plant-Rich Diets
- Student Engagement for Sustainability
- Sustainability Social Media & Communications
- Sustainability Events
To join a student Sustainability Ambassadors team, email email@example.com to learn about the process of joining.
The Office of Campus Sustainability is hiring a team of paid student Sustainability Ambassadors for the fall of 2019. Sustainability Ambassadors are passionate about environmental sustainability as well as all the Global Goals for Sustainable Development. We’re looking for students who have excellent verbal communications skills and can easily and naturally connect with fellow students.
Responsibilities through the semester
- Summer Orientation – Students who are leaving near the college over the summer may begin duties early and work at transfer and first-year orientation sessions. Exact dates and hours TBD.
- Training/Orientation – Sustainability Ambassadors attend a full two-day orientation/training prior to the start of the semester on August 22 and 23.
- Regular Meetings – Every week, Sustainability Ambassadors will meet to plan events and brainstorm about how to most effectively do this work and connect with students.
- Farmers Market Tabling– The primary work hours during the fall of 2019 are during the weekly farmers market on Thursdays from 10 AM to 3:30 PM. Students will be assigned hours to work at the farmers market when they are not in class.
- Sustainability Ambassadors Specializations:
- Event Planner & Organizer – Organize fun, interactive, experiential events around sustainability.
- Water Conservation Campaign Coordinator– Implementing Slow the Flow Save H2O water conservation campaign. The Ashokan Reservoir, which supplies the Village of New Paltz and the College with domestic water is shutting down for 10 weeks this fall.
- Repair Cafe Coordinator – Recruit and coordinate repair coaches to work at the Repair Cafe once in the fall and once in the spring.
- Social Media Coordinator– Develop weekly sustainability social media posts for Instagram and potentially other social media platforms.
- Sustainability Program Coordinator – Implement ideas from the Campus Sustainability Plan update, now in development
- Carbon Neutrality Coordinator – Engage students, faculty, and staff in a campus-wide discussion about if, when, and how the campus should become carbon neutral or “carbon positive.”
- Have a passion for sustainability
- Have experience with sustainability on campus, whether through student organizations, living-learning communities, or academic programs
- Have excellent verbal communication skills, are enthusiastic, and are able to motivate and inspire other students
- Have skills that directly relate to the job responsibilities described above
- A self-starter
- Able to work effectively in teams
- Experience with making things happen at SUNY New Paltz (ie. logistics)
- Good at public speaking
- Effective at mobilizing volunteers
- Self-motivated and able to work independently (there is no office space for students)
Sustainability Ambassadors are employees of the Office of Campus Sustainability and will report to the Campus Sustainability Coordinator Lisa Mitten. Compensated Student Ambassadors are paid $12/hour.
Applications are due Wednesday, May 1. All interviews will take place by the end of the semester. Hiring decisions will be made by June 1 for an August 22nd start date.
Email your answers to these questions listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sustainability Ambassador Application” in the subject line.
Email Campus Sustainability Coordinator Lisa Mitten at email@example.com with any questions.
Sustainability Ambassador Application
Minor (if applicable):
Year (freshman, sophomore):
Expected Graduation Date:
- What does sustainability mean to you?
- Why would you like to become a Sustainability Ambassador?
- What personal experiences do you have with sustainability issues (ie. inside or outside of the classroom)?
- Do you have any special roles/jobs on campus (ie. RA, student org leader, SA rep, etc.)?
- Will you be living on or off campus in the Fall of 2019?
- What hours on Thursdays in the fall of 2018 are you available to work at the farmers market? (Please note that if you are not available on Thursdays, there may still be employment opportunities for you)
- What skills, experiences, personal qualities, etc. do you have that would make you effective at tabling at the Farmers Market to spread the word about sustainability?
- Are there one or more specializations listed in the job announcement that interest you? Why are you interested in that/those role(s)? What skills, experiences, and personal qualities do you have that would make you a good candidate for that role(s)?
- Are you living locally this summer available to work over the summer during the new student orientation programs?
Email your answers to these questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sustainability Ambassador Application” in the subject line.