Sample discussion questions
Overcoming obstacles and uncovering career opportunities in a changed world
- What should students be doing right now that will help them land their first jobs in the middle of a pandemic and slowly recovering economy?
- What do employers really want from college graduates and how do I get them to notice me now?
- Where could I look to discover unadvertised opportunities?
- What other skills can I utilize to get my foot in the door and gain some initial experience?
- Where can I find good “virtual networking” opportunities?
Early Career/First Job
- How did you set yourself apart and secure a competitive job opening?
- How did you succeed as a female in a male-dominated field (and vice versa)?
- What do students need to know to land their “dream jobs” and be successful?
- What do future bosses want job seekers to know but may not have time to tell them?
- Did you have a mentor? How did s/he help you excel in your profession and teach you how to work with others?
- What are some of the career opportunities for students majoring in ____ that I may not be familiar with? (Business, Education, Fine and Performing Arts, Liberal Arts & Sciences, Science and Engineering,)
- At some point in your undergraduate studies, did you have to balance unpaid internships with paid work? If so, what advice would you give to students currently doing this?
- As an undergraduate, were there any summer experiences/internships that influenced your career choices?
- Was there a particular professor who excited you about a specific field or profession?
- What are some of the challenges faced by young professionals in today’s work force?
- Can one make a career out of passion and personality?
- How do you continue to sharpen your skills and stay competitive? How do you follow industry trends?
- How would you describe the culture of your current workplace?
- What should students do that will help them make a successful transition from college to career?
- What advice can you give about thinking strategically and using transferable skills to switch careers?
- What was the turning point for you either at New Paltz, or at your first, second, maybe third job? In other words, how would you describe your “A-HA!” moment
- What is your advice for networking and making the right connections in the virtual world?
- What is your go-to ice breaker when meeting new people?
- How do you approach/manage conflict in the work place?
- What kind of social media advice would you recommend that won’t turn off a perspective employer?
- What’s your advice on bridging the work gap between generations?
Outside of the Office
- What are your tricks for staying recharged and focused?
- What was the best piece of advice someone ever gave you?
- What was the worst piece of advice someone ever gave you?
- What is the best piece of advice that you would give these students right now?
- What mistakes have you made, how did you handle them, and what did you learn?
- How did you open yourself up to new experiences?
- What’s your advice on handling financial well-being and transitioning between college and post graduation expenses?
- Has the #MeToo Movement affected any changes in your particular work environment?
- How would you recommend handling sexual harassment in the workplace?
- How would you handle bullying in the workplace?
- How do handle office politics in the work place?