What can I work on in a Writers’ Studio session?
Any academic writing assignment, at any stage of the writing process. Peer writing consultants help you work on your assignment while developing your writing skills. Make a Writers’ Studio appointment to build skills in:
- Understanding your assignment prompt
- Brainstorming / prewriting
- Developing a thesis
- Creating an outline
- Developing a draft
- Revising a draft
- Proofreading strategies
- And more
The Writers’ Studio is not:
- A drop-off or editing service: We collaborate with you to help you become a better writer. We do not proofread or correct grammar.
- A place for emergencies: We focus on building writing skills over time. To get the most out of your sessions, be proactive and come in well before the day your paper is due.
- Qualified to provide assistance with job/internship cover letters, or scholarship/ graduate school essays. Please visit the Career Resource Center for this service.
Who are the Peer Writing Consultants?
Our Peer Writing Consultants are SUNY New Paltz students from a variety of backgrounds and majors. Click here to meet the peer writing consultants!
How do I sign up for a session?
Schedule a session with a peer writing consultant through the Center for Student Success link on my.newpaltz.edu.
How often can I schedule sessions?
SUNY New Paltz students can make one 30 minute appointment per day, up to three days per week.
English Language Learners and ESL Students
The Center for Student Success offers specialized writing support to students who are non-native English speakers with our Graduate Assistant.
To meet with our Graduate Assistant, make an appointment on my.newpaltz under Center for Student Success- Writers' Studio for English Language Learners and ESL Students.