Peer Advisors are trained, upper-level students who can help you build academic skills, understand key educational technologies, and utilize campus resources. Our Peer Advisors come from a variety of backgrounds and majors, all with a common interest of helping other students find personal and academic success.
Some topics Peer Advisors can discuss include the following:
- time management
- creating a study plan for an individual class, all classes or a general schedule
- registration questions and questions about My Schedule Planner
- organization and organizing class materials
- concentration techniques
- tips to avoid procrastination and increase motivation
- specific study techniques such as note taking, textbook reading and memorization
- information about campus resources and how to contact individual offices
Peer Advisors facilitate one-on-one, 30-minute sessions with students throughout the semester. Students can choose to attend one session or a series of sessions to get the assistance they need.
- Identify your strengths and potential obstacles to success
- Build time management and goal setting strategies
- Navigate campus resources that will support your academic and personal success
Advising and Registration
- Prepare for advisor meetings
- Utilize registration tools like your progress report, My Schedule Planner, and the Schedule of Classes
- Navigate my.newpaltz.edu, Starfish, and other key educational technologies
- Understand academic policies
Meet with a Peer Advisor:
To view our peer advisor's availability, log into my.newpaltz.edu and click Center for Student Success.
Coaching with Peer Advisor scheduled sessions are one-on-one in the Center for Student Success in Old Main, B106. Peer Advisor Drop-Ins are available in the lower-level lobby of Wooster Hall, Monday-Friday. More drop-in locations may be added to the schedule throughout the semester.