Program Learning Outcomes for Adolescence English, BA/BS
Candidates who successfully complete all required components of the Adolescence English program at
SUNY New Paltz will:
• Content Knowledge: Demonstrate content area mastery by completing a carefully structured
program in English that requires at least 37 hours of coursework and includes in-depth study of:
the English language/linguistics; critical practices and writing; British, American and
Transnational literature; young adult literature; Shakespeare; and literary theory.
• Planning: Plan lessons in the English language arts that are standards-based; structured in
accordance to learners’ needs; use differentiated instructional strategies and appropriate
technologies; promote diversity and inclusion; and contribute to safe, democratic, and equitable
• Assessment and Learning for Adolescents, grades 7-12: Choose, design, and implement
authentic and appropriate formative and summative assessments to evaluate student learning;
Use assessment data when making instructional decisions; identify effective or problematic
teaching moments as they are occurring in order to facilitate student growth in the English
language arts, including adolescents’ cognitive and/or social skills.
• Pedagogical Practice: Demonstrate varied, imaginative, and relevant teaching strategies that
include appropriate and effective technology, effective questioning and discussion, and a variety
of developmentally and contextually appropriate strategies to support critical thinking and
meaningful learning in the English language arts.
• Dispositions: Demonstrate integrity of character and ethical conduct; participate effectively in
institutional change; and develop respectful relationships with students, families, communities
• Critical Thinking: Identify, analyze, and evaluate different methods of planning, assessing, and
teaching to support pedagogical decisions.
• Information Management: Use technology and basic research techniques to inform planning,
instruction, and assessment of English language arts for adolescents, grades 7-12.