Student Union Managers (formerly called Student Activities Managers) manage all aspects of the Student Union during morning, evening, and weekend hours, assist students and faculty/staff with event/program logistics, and maintain relationships with various campus departments and student organizations to help communicate essential information. Student Union Managers work in a fast-paced environment, and must be able to manage multiple tasks at once. Please visit www.newpaltz.edu/saus for more information about our office.
- Be a full-time, matriculated undergraduate student at SUNY New Paltz; plan to be enrolled full-time for 2019-2020
- Plan to live on-campus for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021
- Have (and maintain) at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA
- Be in good disciplinary standing with the Division of Student Affairs
- Provide a current resume and Co-Curricular Transcript
- Previous managerial and supervisory experience
- Audio/visual technology equipment experience
- Customer service/communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse public
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle frequent interruptions and/or task changes
Click here for the Anticipated Conditions of Employment for 2020-2021.
Click here for the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions about the Student Union Manager Position.
Student Union Manager Selection Timeline:
Click here to print the 2020-2021 Student Union Manager Selection Timeline
Tuesday, February 18 @ 4pm in SU 62/63
and Thursday, February 20 @ 1pm in SU 62/63
OPTIONAL Information Session about the Student Union Manager Position and Application.
Monday, March 2 at 5pm
Application, resume, co-curricular transcript and two (2) Recommendation Forms due. Application materials must be submitted electronically via the form at the bottom of the page. Recommendation Forms may be submitted on paper to the Office of Student Activities and Union Services (SU 211).
Please note that it is the Candidate’s responsibility to ensure that all components of the Application, including Recommendation Forms, are submitted by this date and time. Candidates who do not meet the minimum qualifications, and/or those who do not have complete application packages will be notified of their ineligibility to continue in the selection process via New Paltz email by Wednesday, March 4 at 5pm.
Wednesday, March 4
Candidates will receive an email by 5pm regarding whether or not they are invited to continue in the Student Union Manager Selection Process.
Monday, March 9 through Thursday, March 12
First Round Interviews for invited candidates.
Tuesday, March 24
Candidates notified via New Paltz e-mail by 5pm whether or not they are invited to continue in the Student Union Manager Selection Process.
Monday, March 30 through Thursday, April 2
Second Round Interviews for invited candidates.
Wednesday, April 8
Candidates will be notified of hiring decisions by New Paltz e-mail by 5pm; candidates who are offered positions will receive instructions for acceptance.
Hired Student Union Managers will attend one staff meeting, one individual meeting, and participate in 6 hours of shadowing a current Student Activities Manager before the end of the Spring 2020 semester (all to be scheduled based on availability).
Your complete Student Union Manager Application package will contain:
- Application form (see below)
- A current resume (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the application form)
- A current Co-Curricular Transcript (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the application form).
- Written responses (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the application form - no more than one page per question)
1. Briefly describe one experience you've had at New Paltz that you feel has best prepared you to be a Student Union Manager. Explain why/how this experience prepared you.
2. How does the Student Union Manager position align with your both your academic and professional goals?
- Student Union Manager Recommendation Form (print 2)
- Please give a Recommendation Form to two (2) individuals who would be able to best comment on your abilities as a potential Student Union Manager. It is strongly encouraged that these forms be filled out by New Paltz faculty or staff members. Please note that current Student Activities Staff, family, friends, and New Paltz students (including SAMs, CDAs, RAs, RMs, OLs, PMs, etc.) are not eligible fill out these forms.
- Two (2) Recommendation Forms are due back to the Office of Student Activities & Union Services (SU 211) by Friday, March 2, 2020.