If you are a first-year student interested in meeting new people, learning about yourself and others, and gaining valuable experience, then this is the program for you! The SUNY New Paltz Emerging Leaders Program is a fun and dynamic learning opportunity that will encourage you to explore an understanding of self, an understanding of others, and an understanding of what it means to be a productive community member. The program will introduce you to leadership and followership through hands-on activities, discussion groups, and self reflection.
Being involved in Emerging Leaders will give you an opportunity to meet people and make friends with a similar drive. The program also focuses on empowering you as an individual, addressing the impact of ethics in one's life, celebrating diversity in an inclusive community and developing the skills to work within the group.
Graduates of our Emerging Leaders Program have gone on to apply their leadership skills to a variety of areas both on-campus and in the community. Many have distinguished themselves as leaders by becoming Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, Student Activities Managers and involved in many clubs and organizations. The benefits of Emerging Leaders go beyond graduation however. Employers look for personal characteristics such as integrity, motivation, communication skills and self-confidence. You can begin to develop all of these skills in the Emerging Leaders Program - and get your experience verified on your Co-Curricular Transcript!
Five Dimensions of Leadership
The Emerging Leaders Program is dedicated to providing a well-rounded leadership experience for our participants - no matter what level of leadership experience. We built our program focused on Five Dimensions of Leadership that are essential for a student leader's growth and development.
- Global/Community Perspectives
- Ethics and Values
- Personal Empowerment
- Interpersonal Skills
- Service Learning
Five Dimensions of Leadership for Emerging Leaders - This document includes descriptions and details about each dimension.
Each Emerging Leader gets to select which workshops to attend and which Community Service Experiences he/she volunteers for. Despite each participant having a unique experience, all Emerging Leaders Graduates gain competency in each of these five dimensions.
The Emerging Leaders Program is a two-semester commitment to allow you to get the full benefits of the program without overwhelming you with requirements. The requirements are:
- Attend one on-campus leadership retreat per semester
- Participate in five one-hour workshops (you get to choose which ones!), each addressing one or more of the Five Dimensions of Leadership, and presented by SUNY New Paltz faculty and administrators
- Participate in 10 total hours of community service projects throughout the year
The total time commitment for the Emerging Leaders Program is approximately 25 hours over the entire year.
Program Coordinator and Emerging Leaders Mentors
The Emerging Leaders Program Coordinator is Emily Bazinet, Assistant Director of Student Activities & Union Services. To reach Emily, please visit Student Union Room 211, call 845-257-3025, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emerging Leaders Mentors (ELMs) are current Sophomores at New Paltz, and Graduates of the previous year's Emerging Leaders Program. They are available to answer questions, share their expertise, and help the current class of Emerging Leaders have a successful year.
Helpful Links for Current Emerging Leaders
- Community Service Form - Fill out this form to report each Community Service Project you do this year. Emerging Leaders need to complete 5 hours in the Fall and 5 hours in the Spring.
- Emerging Leaders Workshop Calendar - Spring 2019 - Emerging Leaders must attend at least 5 Workshops this semester!
- Please check our Emerging Leaders Group on Blackboard for announcements throughout the year!
Helpful Links for Workshop Presenters
- Emerging Leaders Workshop Form - Fill out this form to plan and schedule your Emerging Leaders Workshop!