Records & Registration

FAQs for Graduate Students


  1. How do I know if I will be finishing all of my requirements during the semester I attend to graduate? You should review the progress report to make sure that ALL requirements show as completed or in-progress for completion. Contact your graduate advisor to help make any necessary changes to address deficiencies. Students cannot graduate unless all courses are graded.
  2. The online application will not open? Online degree applications are only available to students with 18 credits or less remaining as shown on the progress report. This includes in-progress courses. If you already submitted the degree application, you will not be able to submit it again. If the online application is not available to you, check your progress report for accuracy and speak with your advisor to make any corrections BEFORE attempting to submit the online application.
  3. What happens if I do not see the correct program of study on the online application? If you believe the information listed is incorrect, submit the online application anyway. Contact Records & Registration to determine the necessary steps to correcting your student record.
  4. Can I complete my Education degree without completing the New York State Education certification requirements? Education degrees that lead to certification also must meet certification requirements in order to complete the degree and obtain New York State certification.  Students are responsible for submitting documentation of all required workshops and updates to their personal online TEACH account. Students completing the CAS in Education Leadership must also submit proof of passing scores on the SBL and SDL exams parts 1 and 2.
  5. Can I change my graduation term? This can be changed by you before you submit the application. The next applicable graduation term will be indicated on the application. If the information is correct, make no changes. To change the term of degree completion, select the new term from the dropdown menu.
  6. How do I make changes once the application is submitted? Changes and corrections to the application can be made by contacting Records & Registration.
  7. What happens if my degree application is submitted AFTER the posted deadline in the Academic Calendar? Since the application submission initiates a Records & Registration degree review, your record review will also be delayed, possibly affecting the actual date of degree conferral. Degree application submissions after April 1 will result in the omission of your name from the graduation ceremony program.
  8. I submitted my online application, what happens next? Once the application is submitted, Records & Registration will review the progress report to determine the student eligibility for degree conferral. You will be notified of any missing requirements, “deficiencies” by email. Failure to address deficiencies WILL result in a delay with degree completion. The actual degree conferral can only happen after all grades are in and requirements are met.  If you are missing any requirements stated in your admissions letter to the Graduate School, that may also delay your degree conferral.