Edit Page


Undergraduate Program

General Information
Declaring a Major
Declaring a Minor
How to Declare
Advising Information
Advising Videos

General Information


About the Psychology Undergraduate Program
(including information on disaster studies and evolutionary studies interdisciplinary minors)
Psychology Courses for General Education (GE) 

Major Requirements

Psychology Major 
Psychology Minor & I/O Minor
Psychobiology Concentration 
I/O Concentration 

Eight Semester Plans

Psychology Major
Psychobiology Concentration
I/O Concentration

Other Information

Psi Chi (New Paltz Chapter) 
Psychology Department Subject Pool 
Research Experience Requirement 
Undergraduate Course Descriptions
Information for Transfer Students

Declaring a Major

To declare a major in psychology, students must:

  1. Complete Introductory Psychology (PSY272).
  2. Have at least a 2.75 GPA.
  3. Have a Math Placement Level (MPL) of 3 or higher.

A maximum of six transfer courses can be counted toward the major and at least five of psychology courses applied to the major must be taken at SUNY New Paltz.

Declaring a Minor

In order to declare a minor in psychology, students must complete Introductory Psychology (PSY272). A maximum of three transfer courses can be counted toward the minor. At least three psychology courses applied to the minor must be taken at SUNY New Paltz.

How To Declare

When you are ready to declare your major, minor, or concentration, bring copies of your transcripts (and SUNY New Paltz progress report, when applicable) to the Psychology Department (Wooster 361) for help. The Department Chair (or designee) will assign a faculty advisor to you and sign your Declaration of Major or Minor form, which is to be returned to Records and Registration. Declaration of Major or Minor forms are available from the Psychology Advising Office and Records and Registration.  

Advising Information 

For advising issues, please seek out your faculty advisor first (listed on your progress report); most advising issues can be handled at the faculty advisor level. If your faculty advisor cannot address your issue, please see the undergraduate advisors, the chair, or the assistant chairs.


Degree Works Progress Report Tour 
Advance Registration Overview

Watch psychology alum Emily Heimbender, BA ('13) and MA ('15) conduct an experiment in bilingualism: