Congratulations and Welcome to
SUNY New Paltz!
If you’ve received your acceptance letter for Spring 2021, we look forward to welcoming you soon. Bookmark this page to keep track of everything you need and the latest updates before you start your journey as SUNY New Paltz student.
Please continue to check this page regularly for the most up to date information on Orientation 2021.
New Student Checklist ✔
PAY YOUR $150 PRE-ENROLLMENT DEPOSIT (PED) (required of all new students and this will allow us to begin communicating with you via your campus email account).
You can pay your PED through your admissions status portal online. Each applicant also received an application acknowledgment notification which included a personal New Paltz Computer User ID (NPCUID). This number begins with NO (N + zero plus seven additional digits). If you have not already done so, you must first pay your PED. This deposit is NOT an additional fee; it is a down-payment towards your bill, holds your space at New Paltz and will be deducted from the bill you receive once you have registered for classes.
PAY YOUR $100 ADVANCE ROOM DEPOSIT (ARD) (required if you plan to live on campus)
This is also a deposit that that will be credited toward your fall housing. You can pay your ARD through your admissions status portal online or by contacting Student Accounts at 845-257-3150 during business hours. You do not need to pay this fee if you will be commuting to campus (see Res Life page for requirements if you are a first-year student).
The pre-enrollment deposit may be refunded if the Office of Student Accounts receives a written request by the following dates:
For the Summer or Fall Semester.........May 1 preceding the start of the semester
For the Spring Semester.....................November 1 preceding the start of the semester.
OR, if acceptance to the College is received after these dates, requests for refunds must be received within 30 days of the date of acceptance. In no case will refunds be considered if requests for such refunds are received after the official first day of classes of the semester for which original application for admission was made.
Advance Room Deposit
May be refunded if written request for refund is received in the Office of Student Accounts as follows:
For the Fall Semester.........by July 1 preceding the start of the semester
For the Spring Semester......................by November 1 preceding the start of the semester.
OR (for new students) within 30 days of notification of acceptance, whichever is later.
If a request is received later than the latest applicable date, the refund may still be granted if the student a) withdraws to enter military service, or b) the student withdraws due to circumstances beyond their control as certified and approved by the College President or designee.
Note: If you are an EOP student, your ARD and PED deposits are waived.
Tell the world you’re a new hawk
Tag @sunynewpaltz and @nporientation and use #NPsocial when you post on social media
Check your campus email account regularly
Check your campus email account regularly for important emails about signing up for orientation. Remember, you will have to complete the online orientation program in order to register for classes.
Orientation is a mandatory experience for ALL new students.
By completing the orientation process you will:
- Learn important information about becoming a New Paltz student
- Register for fall classes
- Sign up for fall housing assignment or get information on commuting to campus
There are separate orientation sessions for transfer students and first-year students.
Thank you for your patience regarding receiving information about our online orientation program. While we will miss seeing you in person, we have been working hard to create a comprehensive orientation experience that will educate and empower you with all the information you would have had in person. Our entire campus is excited to help you begin your transition to life as a New Paltz student!
The New Paltz online orientation program will consist of three steps crafted for you, our new students, to have the most well-rounded orientation experience.
By completing the online modules you will;
- learn about the campus, programs and support services
- engage with faculty and staff
- meet other new students and gain support from a student peer mentor!
Step 1: LEARN about co-curricular programs and academic expectations and sign up for a class registration day on VisualZen
Online Orientation Modules will open in early December. You will receive login information via your campus email to sign into our orientation platform, VisualZen. You will be required to complete informational modules at your own pace to learn about the programs, resources and support services available to you. These include;
- Academic Advising Requirements
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Living in our community-Residence Life & Commuting
- Community Standards & Safety
- Support services available to students
- Leadership, involvement and well-being
- Financial Aid & paying your tuition bill
- and many more!
Completion of the modules is required for you to begin building your fall schedule and registering for classes.
Step 2: Advising and Class Registration
All students will be required to complete NP 103: Advising & Registration module before being assigned an advisor.
Registration Days: You will be prompted to sign up for a registration day. When you sign up for a day, that will be the day that you will be able to register for your spring courses. The days are below:
- December 18, 2020 – Freshman Only
- January 6, 2021
- January 8, 2021
- January 11, 2021.
If registration changes are needed after that date, students can make web changes starting on 1/12/21.
Step 3: ENGAGE with our faculty, staff and student leaders in real time to get your questions answered and meet other new students!
- Throughout December & January, we will be offering social programs to connect with current and new students to ease your transition to New Paltz.
- We will be offering 2 Resources Fairs. Thursday, January 7, 2021: 10:00am - 11:00am and Tuesday, January 12, 2021: 2:00pm - 3:00pm. Each resource Fair will take place on the ENGAGE platform and will staffed by representatives for campus departments such as, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Center for Student Engagement, and many more! You will receive more information as the dates grow closer.
- All first-year students will be assigned a Virtual Orientation Leader/Peer Mentor. Transfer students will have the option of opting into a Peer Mentorship with one of our Transfer Liaisons. These seasoned student leaders will be available to support you during orientation throughout the academic year
Still have questions or concerns? Our virtual orientation leaders and liaisons will be available to assist you throughout December and January!
What you will need?
- A device (computer, laptop, or tablet) that has audio functionality
- Access to internet (many companies are offering free internet access to students, please visit https://campustechnology.com/articles/2020/04/30/where-to-get-free-wifi-for-students-during-covid19.aspx for more information.
- While not required, we recommend the use of headphones to avoid background noise
Accommodations:We want to ensure that ALL students can fully participate in online orientation. If you previously received accommodations in high school or your prior college, please contact the Disability Resource Center at email@example.com. For further information on the Disability Resource Center and their services, please visit www.newpaltz.edu/drc/.
Explore the Many Opportunities and Unique Programs New Paltz Offers:
Questions? We are here for you. The Center for Student Engagement is working remotely, so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 845-257-3088. Thank you and welcome to SUNY New Paltz!