New Paltz Logo
Prospective Exchange Students

What does it mean to be an exchange student?

Under an exchange agreement you stay enrolled at your home campus and pay tuition. You pay no tuition directly to SUNY New Paltz. A SUNY New Paltz student then studies at your home university in your place – this is the essence of the Exchange Program. Questions about the terms of the agreement between your university and SUNY New Paltz should first be addressed to your home university. In addition to Exchange Students, SUNY New Paltz hosts up to 600 International Students and scholars at any given time from more than 50 different countries. For more information about services for International Students, visit our website.

How do I become an exchange student?

To study at SUNY New Paltz as an exchange student, your home university must select you and recommend you to New Paltz. Enrollment is usually limited to a few students and spaces fill up quickly, so it is necessary to apply through your home campus as early as a year or more before coming to New Paltz. As soon as you begin contemplating participating in an Exchange Program, we recommend you speak to a Study Abroad advisor at your home university. Beginning the planning process early will ensure that you have enough time to incorporate your studies so that you meet all academic and immigration requirements, both here and in your home country. Once you decide that you want to apply to be an Exchange Student at SUNY New Paltz, you will complete an application at your home university. Please do not apply directly to SUNY New Paltz admissions.

What happens after I apply at my home university?

SUNY New Paltz will review your application. If you are accepted you will receive an acceptance package from us that will include immigration documents and pre-arrival information.

Latest News