Why apply for extension of your I-20?
International students with F-1 status are required to register as full-time students every semester and are limited in the amount of time they may continue in an academic or language program. The stated length of study and expected completion date on the initial I-20 to begin your current program at SUNY New Paltz determines whether you must apply for a "Program Extension" to remain in the U.S. to complete your program.
If you will not be able to complete your program by the program end date on your I-20, you must apply for a program extension before that date. If you do not file for an extension, or if you file after your program end date, you lose your student status and you will need to apply for reinstatement, or travel and re-enter the U.S. on a new initial I-20. Reinstatement is a complicated and expensive procedure that may take months for approval.
- You must be in lawful F-1 status under the visa supervision of SUNY New Paltz.
- You must have maintained unbroken full time enrollment for every semester of your program in which you were in F-1 status.
- Delays in completing your studies must not be caused by academic probation or suspension.
You must submit all materials for the extension to International Student Programs in VH 201 10 days prior to your I-20 completion date.
Submit the following documentation to International Student Programs:
- Financial documentation dated within the past three months to cover the costs of the additional time needed to complete your program.
- The Program Extension Form completed by your academic adviser stating the academic reasons for your need to extend your stay at SUNY New Paltz, and the anticipated date of completion of your program of study.
International Student Programs will review your application for eligibility, prepare a new I-20 for extension of stay and update your SEVIS record. We will contact you when your new I-20 is ready. Remember to sign and date the new I-20.
If you have questions about your eligibility for a program extension, please contact International Student Programs well before the program end date on your I-20.