Edit Page

International Student Services

Extension of Stay for a New Academic Program
International Student Services: Current Students

Extension of Stay for a New Academic Program

If you are completing one academic program at SUNY New Paltz and are planning to pursue another degree or program without interruption, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must be notified. This may happen if you complete the ESL program and are admitted to a degree program or if you complete an undergraduate degree program and continue for a graduate degree.

When you have been admitted to a new academic program, the appropriate admission office will notify the International Student Adviser who will verify your eligibility for the new program and issue a new I-20. To qualify for a new I-20, you must update the financial documentation you provided when you first obtained F-1 student status.

When you are notified of your admission to the new program at SUNY New Paltz, make an appointment to see the International Student Adviser. Bring the following documents with you:

  • Your admission letter for the new program
  • Your current I-20 and any previously issued I-20s
  • Your I-94 card
  • Your passport
  • Updated financial documents dated within the past 3 months showing available funds to cover all costs for one year of your new program (not necessary if you submitted them to the Graduate or Undergraduate Admissions Office with your application).

SUNY New Paltz will update your SEVIS record with the immigration services when you are admitted to the program and issue a new I-20 if you are eligible. We will contact you when your I-20 has been issued.

If your plans change and you do not begin the new program, please let us know as soon as you can.

If you have questions about this or any other aspect of your immigration status, please contact the International Student Adviser.