Edit Page

International Student Services

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

F1 students who want to, or who are required to participate in an off-campus placement MUST receive authorization on the form I-20. This is true for any off-campus opportunity, whether it is required for your degree or not, and may be considered Fieldwork, Practicum, Student Teaching or an Internship. CPT authorization must be entered into your F1 immigration record BEFORE you begin any off-campus opportunity.  CPT can be paid or unpaid.

Please see International Student Programs to update your immigration record with this authorization, and obtain the updated form I-20 with the CPT authorization listed on it BEFORE you begin the placement. This procedure follows visa regulations set by the US Federal Government.  If you do not get the required authorization from International Student Programs, the college will be required to terminate your F1 status in order to comply with visa regulations.

Eligibility for CPT

You must be a degree candidate who has been in lawful status as a full-time student for at least one academic year. You must register for the Fieldwork, Practicum, Student Teaching or Internship course.

You must earn credit for the course during the time that you participate in the off-campus placement.

You must get approval from your academic department to participate in the off-campus opportunity and to earn credit for it.

Procedure - Submit the following required documentation to International Student Programs no less than 10 days before you wish to begin the off-campus opportunity:

  • CPT Checklist
  • CPT Faculty Recommendation Form
  • Letter from the off-campus organization offering you the position MUST include the following information:
    • Start and end date.
    • How many hours you will work per week.
    • A description of duties in sufficient detail, to clearly show them as appropriate for the requirements of your placement.
    • Location where opportunity will take place; organization address.

CPT applications will not be accepted after the add/drop period ends each semester. See the Academic Calendar

International Student Programs will:

  • Review your CPT application for eligibility.
  • If you are eligible, issue a new I-20 with CPT authorization and return it to you.
  • Notify the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) of the approved period of curricular practical training.

Special Considerations

You are still required to register for a full-time course load if you are authorized for CPT during the academic year.

CPT that exceeds 20 hours per week constitutes full-time CPT. Students who engage in full-time CPT for twelve months or more will not be eligible for OPT.

Contact International Student Programs if you have questions about the requirements for CPT.