SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Environmental Health & Safety
Budget Title: Senior Staff Assistant
Local Title: Assistant Director of Environmental Health and Safety
Posting Date: November 25, 2019
Duties: The State University of New York at New Paltz invites applications for an Assistant Director of Environmental Health and Safety. The Assistant Director will control compliance oversight of hazardous waste management, asbestos projects, and all other applicable environmental regulation compliance issues, and assist the Environmental Health and Safety Team with Fire Safety and PESH/OSHA safety regulations.
Responsibilities will include:
• Assuring that all hazardous materials waste streams on campus are handled, stored and removed in a safe manner and within all applicable fed/state/local regulations
• Handling all compliance paperwork including sending all manifests for hazardous materials to proper DEC Office
• Maintaining detailed records for reporting and taxation purposes, and preparing quarterly and annual reports to the EPA
• Administering the maintenance and operations program for safely retaining asbestos containing materials (ACM) in campus buildings
• Monitoring the semi-annual inspections of ACMs and ensuring that all are properly contained
• Monitoring all asbestos abatement projects for compliance to all federal and state laws
• Conduct Env audits of campus activities
• Act as a campus liaison for ENV/Asbestos regulatory agency visits and coordinate any follow up action required
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Experience with compliance oversight of federal, state, and local environmental laws
• Bachelor’s Degree (or greater) in Environmental Science, Chemistry or related fiel
• CHMM (Certified Hazardous Materials Manager)
• ASP/CSP certifications
• Experience with Code Rule 56
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
Please apply by visiting
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: This position offers full NYS benefits, which are among the most comprehensive in the nation.
Recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs, New Paltz is a highly-selective public college with about 8000 students. It is located on a beautiful campus 75 miles north of New York City in a picturesque area at the foothills of the Catskill Mountains with easy access to the City and nearby cultural and recreational amenities.
New Paltz recognizes the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work here is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members--students, faculty and staff. The College's commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. New Paltz continues to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at https://www.newpaltz.edu/firesafety/safetyreport.html.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1163