SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Environmental Health & Safety
Budget Title: Sr. Staff Assistant
Local Title: Occupational Health and Safety Specialist
Posting Date: October 16, 2019
Duties: State University of New York at New Paltz is currently seeking a talented safety professional to join our team as an Occupational Health and Safety Specialist.
The successful candidate should have the skills necessary to help provide safety and health leadership to the campus, the ability to help ensure that systems effectively address S&H risks, help develop and/or align the S&H strategy, and assist with facilitating S&H ownership within the organization.
• Ensure adherence to NYS Code Rule 56 by managing, and providing guidance and oversight to asbestos removal projects and other asbestos activity;
• Conduct, evaluate, and report periodic asbestos condition surveys across campus;
• Conduct safety inspections;
• Manage the Campus Confined Space Program according to OSHA/PESH requirements;
• Manage the Hearing Conservation Program according to OSHA/PESH requirements;
• Conduct lab hood velocity measurements/surveys according to OSHA/PESH requirements;
• Develop & administer safety audits of labs and facilities as they relate to OSHA/PESH requirements and CODE Rule 56 and the NYS Department of Labor;
• Respond to Environmental Health and Safety work order requests;
• Provide PESH, AED and general safety training both during and outside of campus core hours;
• Assist with the campus lab waste management program according to OSHA/PESH/NYSDEC regulations;
• Administer campus lighting surveys as it relates to requirements in NFPA 101 and current NYS Building Codes
• Associates degree in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Environmental Health and Safety or related degree;
• Occupational health and safety experience;
• Knowledge and experience in interpreting EPA/OSHA/DOL regulations;
• Experience in developing and facilitating training;
• Valid NYS Driver's License
• Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Environmental Health and Safety or related degree;
• Asbestos Project Monitor or Contractor/ Supervisor Certification;
• Minimum of 2 years of experience managing
asbestos removal projects;
• Confined Space Program management experience;
• Knowledge of NYS Building Codes;
• CSP, CIH or CHMM Certification
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Please apply by visiting
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
SUNY New Paltz recognizes the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work here is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members--students, faculty and staff. The College's commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. New Paltz continues to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply. The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at https://www.newpaltz.edu/firesafety/safetyreport.html.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1144