Edit Page

Graduate & Extended Learning

Frequently Asked Questions

Please select from the categories below:

  • I’d like to learn more about your graduate programs. May I speak with someone?
    Yes. You may make an appointment to meet with our Graduate School Recruiter and Advisor to review program requirements and the application process.

  • I am a graduate student at another institution and am interested in transferring to SUNY New Paltz as a graduate student. What should I do?
    You would be considered as a new applicant, not a transfer student, and you’ll be required to submit all the documents listed by the Graduate School and the specific program for which you are applying. Upon admission you may transfer 6-9 credits into your new graduate program, pending departmental approval.

  • What is the minimum requirement to apply to the Graduate School?
    The basic requirement for admission is a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university with a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale. International applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency and submit translations/evaluations of their transcripts by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

  • My NYS Teaching Certificate has lapsed. Can I still apply?
    Yes, you may still apply for a graduate program. If accepted for matriculation, you must apply for an extension since you would be required to provide evidence of a valid Teaching Certificate before graduation.

  • How do I contact the Graduate School?
    You may contact the Graduate School at: http://www.newpaltz.edu/graduate/contact.html

  • Is SUNY New Paltz an accredited institution?
    The University is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is approved as a degree-granting institution by the Trustees of the State University of New York and the Regents of New York State.
  • Where do I find the admission requirements for a graduate program?
    Review our Programs page to review admission requirements.

  • What is the minimum GPA required for Graduate School?
    The minimum cumulative GPA is 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.

  • My undergraduate GPA is below 3.00. Can I still apply?
    If your GPA does not meet our minimum admission standard, then you should contact your program's graduate coordinator.  The current listing of coordinators with their email addresses are available from our Programs page.
  • Does SUNY New Paltz require standardized test scores for admission?
    Certain programs require satisfactory scores on the MAT, GRE or GMAT. Refer to the Programs page for your program’s specific exam requirements.

  • Does SUNY New Paltz ever waive an exam requirement?
    Applicants with a conferred master's degree from an accredited institution and a cumulative GPA of 3.50 on a 4.00 scale will receive a GRE waiver for any education program. For other majors, applicants should consult their program coordinator which may be found on our Programs page.

  • How do I send my test scores to SUNY New Paltz?
    The code for reporting GRE and TOEFL scores to SUNY New Paltz is 2541.
    The code for reporting GMAT scores to SUNY New Paltz is 2493.

  • Is the TOEFL required for international applicants?
    SUNY New Paltz requires international students to submit a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic score report. Review the English Language Proficiency Requirements for specific scores.
  • Which transcripts do I need to submit?
    We require applicants to upload copies of transcripts for every post-secondary institution that they have attended. For 'Full Admission', applicants must submit OFFICIAL copies of transcripts to:
    • SUNY New Paltz
      Graduate & Extended Learning
      800 Hawk Drive
      New Paltz, NY 12561-2442

  • How many copies of transcripts do I need to submit?
    We require one official transcript from ALL post-secondary institutions, including all transfer colleges and any college where college credit was earned during high school. If you are in the process of completing a degree, please send an official transcript that shows your current process. You will need to submit a final transcript once your degree has been conferred.

  • I’m an international applicant. What type of transcripts do I need to submit?
    We require international applicants to upload copies of their consolidated transcript, individual mark sheets, and provisional certificate/degree certificate to initiate a faculty review of the application. For full admission, international applicants must submit OFFICIAL copies of transcripts in addition to a NACES translation and course-by-course evaluation to:
    • SUNY New Paltz
      Graduate & Extended Learning
      800 Hawk Drive
      New Paltz, NY 12561-2442

  • What is considered an official transcript?
    Official electronic transcripts may be sent to gradschool@newpaltz.edu from the granting institution. If the granting institution does not send electronic transcripts, then the transcripts should be mailed directly to:
    • SUNY New Paltz
      Graduate & Extended Learning
      800 Hawk Drive
      New Paltz, NY 12561-2442
  • How do I apply?
    You may apply online or use our paper application.
    Paper: Download and print paper application at www.newpaltz.edu/graduate/paper.html (Paper applications are no longer being acepted)

  • Where can I find a description of the checklist items that I need to upload?"
    When reviewing your checklist, click on the item name and a description will appear in a pop-up box. If you have difficulty finding descriptions or need more information, please email us at gradschool@newpaltz.edu.

  • How do I upload my portfolio?
    After completing your online application to one of our MFA programs or our MSEd in Visual Arts Education, a link will appear in your checklist items for you to upload your portfolio.

  • I have completed the online application and uploaded all of my admission checklist items. Am I done?
    No. Full admission requires applicants to submit OFFICIAL transcripts and test scores to:
    • SUNY New Paltz
      Graduate & Extended Learning
      800 Hawk Drive
      New Paltz, NY 12561-2442

  • What are the application deadlines?
    Online applications may be submitted between Dec. 1 and May 15 for Fall/Summer admission and Aug. 1 and Nov. 15 for Spring admission.

  • I have submitted my application; how can I check on the status of my application?
    Once the Graduate School receives and processes an application, an email is sent to the applicant with directions for checking his/her application status online. The online system indicates each item we’ve received within an application packet, the date it was received, and lists any missing documents.

  • How do I check the status of my application?
    Log in as a RETURNING User to modify your application or monitor its status.

  • My application is under review by the faculty. When will I receive a decision?
    Once the faculty render a decision regarding your application, the staff in Graduate & Extended Learning will update your status online. Admission decision letters are emailed to applicants daily at 5:30pm (EST). Make sure your email client accepts emails from gradschool@newpaltz.edu.