Graduate, Professional & Interdisciplinary Studies

Frequently Asked Questions

Please select from the categories below:

  • I’d like to learn more about your graduate programs. May I speak with someone?
    Yes. You may make an appointment to meet with our Director of Graduate Admissions to review program requirements and the application process.

  • I am a graduate student at another institution and am interested in transferring to SUNY New Paltz as a graduate student. What should I do?
    You would be considered as a new applicant, not a transfer student, and you’ll be required to submit all the documents listed by the specific program for which you are applying. Upon admission you may transfer 6-9 credits into your new graduate program, pending departmental approval.

  • What is the minimum requirement to apply to a Graduate Program?
    The basic requirement for admission is a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university with a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale. International applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency and submit translations/evaluations of their transcripts by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

  • My NYS Teaching Certificate has lapsed. Can I still apply?
    Yes, you may still apply for a graduate program. If accepted for matriculation, you must apply for an extension since you would be required to provide evidence of a valid NYS Teaching Certificate before graduation.

  • How do I contact the Graduate, Professional & Interdisciplinary Studies department?
    You may contact the department at:

  • Is SUNY New Paltz an accredited institution?
    The University is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is approved as a degree-granting institution by the Trustees of the State University of New York and the Regents of New York State.
  • Where do I find the admission requirements for a graduate program?
    Review our Programs page to review admission requirements.

  • What is the minimum GPA required for Graduate Studies?
    The minimum cumulative GPA is 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.

  • Do you offer full application fee waivers?
    Former EOP, HEOP and SEEK students are eligible for a full application fee waiver. Please request that your program director complete this form: Certification of Participation Form - EOP, HEOP, SEEK and then upload it into your applicant portal.

  • What do I include in my graduate admissions essay?

Your graduate admission essay should be typed, double-spaced, and between 400–500 words. Since your essay provides us with a sample of your writing, it should reflect exemplary organization, writing style, and mechanics.

Certain programs have specific guidelines for the admission essay; therefore, refer to your intended program of study’s description in the graduate catalog or departmental website and focus your essay to meet these requirements.

Otherwise, you may compose and upload an essay that clearly addresses
the following:
• How have your previous experiences contributed to your decision to enter the program?
• How will graduate study assist you in achieving your future career and educational aspirations?
• What are your professional goals?

  • My undergraduate GPA is below 3.00. Can I still apply?
    If your GPA does not meet our minimum admission standard, then you should contact your program's graduate coordinator.  The current listing of coordinators with their email addresses are available from our Programs page.
  • Does SUNY New Paltz require standardized test scores for admission?
    Certain programs require satisfactory scores on the MAT, GRE or GMAT. Refer to the Programs page for your program’s specific exam requirements.

  • Does SUNY New Paltz ever waive an exam requirement?
    Our Counselor Education faculty will waive the GRE requirement for any applicant with a master's degree conferred within the last five years with a minimum 3.33 GPA, or an applicant with a conferred master's degree from a CACREP accredited program.
    For other majors, applicants should consult their program coordinator which may be found on our Programs page.

  • My local testing center is closed. Will the GRE and TOEFL still be required for admission?
    ETS is offering at home testing solutions for the TOEFL and GRE exams. To learn more, go to: 

    Some graduate programs will review applications for conditional admission without a GRE score; however, other programs require it for review. Please email us at to see if your program will review applications without a GRE score.

  • How do I send my test scores to SUNY New Paltz?
    The code for reporting GRE and TOEFL scores to SUNY New Paltz is 2541.
    The code for reporting GMAT scores to SUNY New Paltz is 2493.

  • Is the TOEFL required for international applicants?
    SUNY New Paltz requires international students to submit a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic score report. Review the English Language Proficiency Requirements for specific scores.
  • Which transcripts do I need to submit?
    We require applicants to upload copies of transcripts for every post-secondary institution that they have attended. For 'Full Admission', applicants must submit OFFICIAL copies of transcripts to:
    • SUNY New Paltz
      Division of Academic Planning and Learning Innovation
      Office of Graduate, Professional & Interdisciplinary Studies
      800 Hawk Drive
      New Paltz, NY 12561-2442
      SUNY New Paltz students and alumni are NOT required to submit official transcripts.

  • How many copies of transcripts do I need to submit?
    We require one official transcript from ALL post-secondary institutions, including all transfer colleges and any college where college credit was earned during high school. If you are in the process of completing a degree, please send an official transcript that shows your current process. You will need to submit a final transcript once your degree has been conferred.

  • I’m an international applicant. What type of transcripts do I need to submit?
    We require international applicants to upload copies of their consolidated transcript, individual mark sheets, and provisional certificate/degree certificate to initiate a faculty review of the application. For full admission, international applicants must submit OFFICIAL copies of transcripts in addition to a NACES translation and course-by-course evaluation to:
    • SUNY New Paltz
      Division of Academic Planning and Learning Innovation
      Office of Graduate, Professional & Interdisciplinary Studies
      800 Hawk Drive
      New Paltz, NY 12561-2442

  • What is considered an official transcript?
    Official electronic transcripts may be sent to from the granting institution. If the granting institution does not send electronic transcripts, then the transcripts should be mailed directly to:
    • SUNY New Paltz
      Division of Academic Planning and Learning Innovation
      Office of Graduate, Professional & Interdisciplinary Studies
      800 Hawk Drive
      New Paltz, NY 12561-2442
  • How do I apply?

    When can I apply?
    Online applications will be accepted according to the following schedule below.

    Spring Admission: December 1 | Summer Admission: May 1 | Fall Admission: July 15
    Bachelor's + Master's Applicants may apply a year in advance.

  • I can’t find the right term.
    You may have selected the wrong year in step 1. Return to your homepage and create a new application with the appropriate year:

    • Academic Year 2021-22: includes Fall 2021, Spring 2022 and Summer 2022
    • Academic Year 2022-23: includes Fall 2022, Spring 2023 and Summer 2023

    NOTE: Certain programs restrict admission to a specific term. Once you select your preferred major, then you will only see terms for which your program accepts admission applications.

    How can I remove an incorrect application?
    Email to request removal of any unnecessary applications.

    Do I need to upload checklist items while filling out an application?
    No. Domestic students are able to upload select checklist items during the application process, or upload everything after submitting their application in their application portal. 

    Exception: International students must upload a copy (pdf or jpeg) of their passport to submit an application.

    Which checklist items can I upload during the application process?

    • Required: Passport (international students only)
    • Optional Uploads: Unofficial Transcripts, Evidence of NYS Teaching Certification or MTBC credential, TAGA Application Documents (e.g., letter of interest, resume, TA grading sample), MFA requirements (Artist Statement, Digital Portfolio, TAGA Documents)
  • What checklist items can I upload in my applicant portal?

    • Admission Essay, Artist Statement, Writing Sample, Resume
    • Unofficial copies of transcripts or test score reports
    • Evidence of NYS Teaching Certification or MTBC Credential
    • International Financial Documents

  • Can I submit my application if I haven't taken the GRE or another standardized exam?
    • Yes. At the end of your application, you may receive a warning message that indicates that your program requires test scores for faculty review. However, you may still submit your application and update the test score information at a later date by emailing

  • When can I expect a decision regarding my graduate application?
    Once the faculty render a decision regarding your application, the staff in Graduate, Professional & Interdisciplinary Studies will update your status online. Admission decisions are emailed daily at 5:30pm (EST). Make sure that your email client accepts emails from and  

contact us - summer session

Contact Us

Connect with Us

Talk with advisor -

Old Main Building, 127
845-257-3947 (secretary)
845-257-3285 (advisor)
800-248-8856 (toll-free)
845-257-3284 (fax)

Visit Us

Campus Map

Visitor Parking
Haggerty Circle (lot 16),
Rte. 32 (lot 28), and Rte. 32 Ext.
GPS Location:
75 South Manheim Blvd, New Paltz, NY 12561