Sigma Gamma Epsilon
Theta Beta Chapter
Sigma Gamma Epsilon is the National Honor Society for the Earth Sciences. The Theta Beta Chapter was established at SUNY New Paltz by the students and faculty of the Department of Geology in 2012. Membership in SGE recognizes scholarship and professionalism in the Earth Sciences. Its objectives are the scholastic, scientific, and professional advancement of its members and the extension of relations of friendship and assistance among colleges and universities which are devoted to the advancement of the Earth Sciences. Any New Paltz student who has completed at least 10 units in Earth Science courses and has maintained a minimum GPA (3.0 in GLG courses and 2.7 overall) is qualified for membership.
Reasons to Join
Membership in Sigma Gamma Epsilon tells prospective employers and colleagues that you are a strong, professionally motivated student. Members serve their departments in a number of ways such as organizing field trips, tutoring, arranging displays, etc. Many chapters have money-raising activities to obtain funds to use for scholarships or awards or to purchase items needed for student use which the department cannot afford. Membership also includes subscription to a professional journal, The Compass. Members of Sigma Gamma Epsilon are encouraged to submit articles to this highly respected journal, as it provides the opportunity to share your research with the society. As an associated society of the Geological Society of America, Sigma Gamma Epsilon members are entitled to GSA-member rates for registration at national and regional meetings and for purchase of GSA publications.
- Declared major or minor in any branch of the Earth Sciences
- Completed 10 semester hours in Earth Science Courses
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 G.P.A. (on a 4.0 system) in all Earth Science courses
- Maintain a minimum 2.67 G.P.A. in all college courses
Becoming a Member
- Complete the Initiate Application
- Upon completion of the application, you will receive an email indicating if you have been approved
- If approved, turn in a copy of the acceptance letter with the indicated initiation fee
- An officer of Gamma Sigma chapter will propose you for membership at a regular meeting. A majority vote is required by the chapter members on your application to approve it. The vote is taken to assure that in the eyes of the members you have demonstrated your interest in the profession by participation in your department's activities.
- Attend Initiation to complete the induction process
Quality Chapter Award
The Quality Chapter Award is designed to recognize chapters for achieving excellence by providing a quality program to its members by accomplishing the criteria listed below. Any chapter that meets all the qualifications is automatically eligible for the Quality Chapter Award annually. Chapters will receive a certificate the following June and be recognized on the Sigma Gamma Epsilon website. Requirements for the Quality Chapter Award:
- A President, Vice-President-Historian, Corresponding Secretary-Editor (Secretary), Secretary-Treasurer (Treasurer) are elected annually.
- The Officer form is fully completed and submitted electronically to SGE by November 1st.
- If you are initiating new members in the fall, the New Initiate form must be fully completed with BOTH an electronic and paper copy with initiate fees and dues submitted to the national office by November 1st. Please submit the electronic copy to SGE.
- If you are initiating new members in the spring, the New Initiate form must be fully completed with BOTH an electronic and paper copy with initiate fees and dues submitted to the national office by March 15th. Please submit the electronic copy to SGE.
- For returning members, the Returning Member form must be fully completed with BOTH an electronic and paper copy with dues submitted to the national office by November 1st. Please submit the electronic copy to SGE. Note: there are no partial dues for returning members.
- Correct amount of dues (and initiate fees if applicable) is submitted in one check or money order. Please combine initiate fees and dues in one check.
- Advisor is a dues-paying Associate or Active Alumni Member of SGE, or a Life Member of the Society.
- One service project must be completed by your chapter during the academic year (August 15th - May 1st). The Service Project form must be completed and submitted by May 15th to SGE.