SUNY-YÖK Dual Diploma Program

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I drop or fail a class?

If you drop or fail a class, you will have to retake a replacement class at New Paltz, which may cost extra money and delay your graduation. However, we realize that unfortunate events do occur and we will work with you to make up the necessary class.

  • If it is a class in your major, you will need to work with your academic advisor to determine how to make up this course. Most major classes are not offered on-line, so you and your advisor will work together to reschedule the appropriate course. In the School of Business, you must earn a C- in all major classes to apply the course toward meeting the requirements of the major .
  • If the class is a general education (GE) class, you can retake another course in this same category (e.g., replace Art Criticism with Art in the Western World) to meet the requirement. However, the grade will not be replaced unless you take the same class again. You are only allowed to repeat a class two times.
  • Depending upon your schedule and program, you may have to pay extra for this course; it costs over $2,000 for a 3-credit class, so we encourage you to maintain good academic standing in all classes.
  • If you have to retake a course during your final year, it could delay graduation to allow you time to finish the extra coursework.


How can I get a job on campus?

  • Students are discouraged from working during their first year because of the course load and the need to adjust to a different academic system. However, if you believe that you can manage a part-time job with your classes, you can search for an on-campus opportunity (working off-campus is illegal). Offices that commonly hire students can be found on the Payroll website.
  • In order to apply for a Social Security number, F-1 students need to either have a job offer for an on-campus job or they need to have their Optional Practical Training employment authorization card. You cannot apply for a Social Security number if you are outside the US. If you are able to obtain a job offer on campus, the Center for International Programs will help you complete the necessary paperwork to obtain your Social Security card.


How do I find an internship after I graduate?

  • If you are going to complete the program at New Paltz, you might be eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). This special visa allows you to work for one year in the US in your field of study. The Center for International Programs office can help with the Optional Practical Training application. Students who are graduating in the summer cannot apply for Optional Practical Training until they are in the US and no more than 90 days before graduation.
  • The Career Resource Center can help you to search for internships within the U.S., but it is your responsibility to find one. Beth King, Internship and Service Learning Coordinator, can work with you to develop an appropriate resume and practice interviewing skills. Finally, there is an online resource that can help you to find appropriate sites for internships. The School of Business also maintains a website dedicated to internships.


How are the residence hall assignments made?

  • After students submit a signed housing license, Residence Life will assign students to available rooms on campus. The Residence Life staff will take requests into consideration when assigning rooms, but no guarantees can be made about ultimate placement because it depends upon space availability. For students arriving during the spring semester, please note that because room assignments are made for the full year (beginning in the fall semester), their first choices for placement may not be available.


How do I request transcripts for graduate school applications?

  • You should be able to obtain an unofficial transcript via at However, if you need an official transcript, you will have to request it through the Records and Registration Office (I cannot create them). The instructions for requesting a transcript can be found at the website of the Registrar. You can pay for the transcript ($10 per document) online with a credit card. They will mail the transcripts to the addresses you list on the form, but you should try to submit the requests as early as possible as it takes time for them to complete the process (8–10 business days after they are received according to the website).


How can I see my schedule before I arrive at New Paltz?

  • You have two ways of viewing your schedule prior to your arrival at New Paltz. You can check for the current courses in which you are registered. You can also view the course listings. This listing will tell you the names and times of the various courses offered during the semester or session.


How should I pay my bills? What banks are located in New Paltz?

  • Once you are registered for classes, you will have a bill available at You can set up a payment plan, pay online with a credit card or send money via a wire transfer from your bank. The bill is typically due before the semester begins so you carefully review the total and due dates.  If you pay while you are on campus, the Student Accounts office will accept cash, travelers’ checks, and credit cards. They will give you a receipt to indicate that you paid which you should keep in a safe place.
  • There are several banks in New Paltz, including one on campus in the basement of the Haggerty Administration Building (HAB) called Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union. You can open an account there with a passport and use their ATM on campus. Other banks in town include: Bank of America, Chase Bank, Wells Fargo Bank, Ulster Savings Bank, and M&T Bank. You can refer to this website for more information and links to the banks’ websites.



Do you have more questions?

Please feel free to ask us your question. We will respond as promptly as possible.