photo of three students on campus

Undeclared Students


Many students enter the college as undecided/exploratory students and spend the first three semesters taking general education courses and/or electives that allow them to explore areas of interest. By working with an advisor, you can ensure that you can complete the major you eventually decide upon and still graduate on time. 

Deciding on a major is a process that unfolds during your first two years of college, if not before. When you declare and how many credits you have earned toward a major will determine the semester you are able to graduate. It is best to declare a major by the time you have earned 60 credits or before the first semester of your junior year.

Majors range from 36-120 credits. Many majors -- particularly those in the Schools of Science & Engineering, Education, Business and the Fine & Performing Arts -- are highly sequential, and students who don't begin their coursework early may have difficulty graduating within the traditional time frame. 

The Academic Advising Center has professional advisers to help you through the process of exploring and declaring a major.


  • Students must declare a major for which they qualify by the time they reach 75 credits. Failure to do so will result in a registration hold. A pre-major is not valid after 75 credits are completed.
  • New York State residents with 60 or more credits will not be eligible for New York's Tuition Assistance Plan (TAP) until the major is declared. This policy applies to incoming transfer students as well as continuing students at New Paltz.
  • You may not be able to graduate in four years if you have more than 60 credits earned before choosing a major.