Edit Page

Office of Academic Advising

Welcome Freshmen

Welcome to New Paltz!

College is an exciting time! Starting with your orientation session, the Academic Advising Office is your "go-to" place to help you successfully transition to college academics. Please read the following carefully to prepare for your orientation session.

Registering for Your Orientation Session

Freshmen orientation sessions will be offered from the end of June through the end of July. Sign up to get your first choice of date.

College Credit Earned in High School

If you took AP, IB or a college course in high school, you have probably already started earning college credit. It's up to you to ensure SUNY New Paltz receives these official transcripts; your high school does not send these for you. Contact the appropriate institution:

For Advanced Placement (AP) courses, scores of 3, 4, or 5 are accepted for college credit. Contact College Board for official transcripts.

For International Baccalaureate courses, scores of 5 or higher are accepted for college credit. Contact International Baccalaureate for official transcripts.

For college courses taken in high school, grades of C or higher can be transferred for credit. Contact the college where you took the course for official transcripts.

What you have to do:

Contact the institution that granted the credits and request that official transcripts be sent to:

Office of Undergraduate Admission
State University of New York at New Paltz
100 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, New York 12561-2499

What SUNY New Paltz will do:

Assign course equivalencies. (See course equivalencies here.)

Determine if a course fulfills a General Education or major requirement.

Apply the credits to your New Paltz transcript so they count towards the 120 credits needed to graduate.

Be better able to advise you accurately.

Your First Schedule

Your first schedule usually begins with General Education (GE) courses. GE courses are a good way to explore the range of academic programs on campus, as well as develop skills in writing, researching, and critical inquiry. For those in majors with very structured curricula (for example, engineering, natural sciences, art), your schedule will also include your major's required introductory or foundation courses. All first-year students are assigned a placement level for English Composition, Math, and Foreign Language.

Academic Advising

All new students will be assigned an academic advisor. Meet with your advisor often, specifically to seek help if you have questions or concern about a course or an issue affecting your academic performance. Your advisor can point you to important support resources available to you, as well as help you explore your interests and goals and create an individualized educational plan.

Advisors also help you plan for the next semester and are required to clear you for advance registration. As a student, you have a role in the advising process too. Be prepared for your meetings and see your advisor regularly to ensure you are on track to graduate on time.

Getting Involved

The college has over 120 student organizations, as well as lectures, plays, musical performances, exhibits, and community service opportunities available on a regular basis. Take advantage of all SUNY New Paltz has to offer!