Transfer Student Application Information
Who is a transfer applicant?
A student who has taken course work at an accredited college, other than SUNY New Paltz, after high school graduation is considered a transfer student.
PRELIMINARY TRANSFER ADMISSION CONSIDERATION
- A 2.75 minimum grade point average (GPA).
- If more than one college has been attended, it is a 2.75 combined GPA from all previous colleges.
- If the applicant has less than 45 completed credits, their high school academic record and SAT/ACT scores will be considered as well.
- If the applicant has less than 45 completed credits, they may either apply to a major or apply as "Undeclared."
- If the applicant has 45 or more completed credits, they must apply directly to a major - "Undeclared" is not a choice.
TRANSFER APPLICATION PROCESS
- Submit the SUNY Application or the Common Application
- Application fee is $50 and is non-refundable and non-transferable. The SUNY Application fee is waived for SUNY or CUNY associate degree holders. The Common Application fee is not waived for SUNY or CUNY associate degree holders.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges previously attended to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- Submit official, final high school transcript (as required by the NYS Education Department) to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- Submit official SAT/ ACT score reports if required to Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- If taken in high school, submit official AP, IB, CLEP score reports to Office of Undergraduate Admission.
TRANSFER ADMISSION TO SPECIFIC MAJORS
- Art – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful portfolio review*
- Visual Arts Education – A minimum of a 3.0 and a successful portfolio review*
- Music – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful music audition/interview
- Theatre Arts – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful theatre audition/interview*
*Contact the specific department for portfolio submission, audition, or interview information.
- Adolescence Education – A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II.
- Adolescence Education - Mathematics - the above, plus "B-" or better in either Calculus I or Calculus II.
- Early Childhood/Childhood Education – A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II.
- Early Childhood/Childhood Education - Mathematics Concentration - the above, plus "B-" or better in either Calculus I or Introduction to Proof.
- Business (all programs) - A minimum GPA of 2.75; with 45+ completed credits applicants must have completed English Composition I and II, Microeconomics or Macroeconomics and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course.
- Communication Disorders – A minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Psychology – A minimum GPA of 2.75, a “C” or better in General Psychology and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course.
- Mathematics – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and grade of "B-" or better in Calculus I or a grade of "B-" or better in Calculus II.
- Biology - A minimum GPA of 2.75 and must have completed General Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, and Pre-Calculus.
- All majors within the School of Science & Engineering require the completion of Pre-Calculus.
SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change admission criteria for specific majors without notice.
TRANSFER APPLICATION DUE DATES
- Fall enrollment - May 1
(including Art/Art Education portfolios)
- Spring enrollment - December 1
(including Art/Art Education portfolios)
SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change application due dates without notice.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
SUNY New Paltz admission uses email as its official method of communication. In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application please make sure your email address that you provided on your application is correct. Please add SUNY New Paltz to your address book to avoid emails from newpaltz.edu being sent to spam folders.
HOUSING INFORMATION FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS
On-campus housing is available to accepted transfer students on a first-come, first serve basis. Please contact the Department of Residence Life 845-257-4444 for on-campus housing information for transfer students.
CONTACT UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSION
- Office of Undergraduate Admission
- 100 Hawk Drive
- New Paltz, New York 12561
VETERAN and MILITARY SERVICE MEMBERS
Veteran and military service members and their spouses and/or children should contact Jason F. Gilliland, Coordinator of Veteran and Military Services, 845-257-3120 or firstname.lastname@example.org, for further information.