Transferring Your Credits
A SECOND DEGREE applicant is a student who has already earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university. All second degree students must apply using the SUNY Application.
SECOND DEGREE APPLICATION INFORMATION
- The intended major of the second degree must require at least 15 credits that were not contained in the major of the first degree.
- Second Degree candidates receive a maximum of 90 credits in transfer; the number of liberal arts and upper division credits will be based on the courses taken in the first degree. The College Progress Report will reflect the credits accepted as well as any requirements that remain unmet.
- Second Degree candidates are considered to have met the General Education Program and the Writing Intensive requirement.
- Second Degree candidates must complete a minimum of 30 credits in residence at SUNY New Paltz.
SECOND DEGREE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
The following information is required to complete the application process:
- 2.75 composite GPA from all colleges previously attended
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Official high school or TASC (GED) transcript*
- Written statement or resume detailing, if applicable, why your education was interrupted and what you have been doing since leaving college.
- Official AP, IB or CLEP test score reports/transcripts, if applicable
*Required by New York State Department of Education
SECOND DEGREE ADMISSION TO SPECIFIC MAJORS
Art – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful portfolio review*
Visual Arts Education – A minimum of a 3.0 and a successful portfolio review*
Music – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful music audition*
Theatre Arts – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful theatre audition/interview*
*Contact the specific department for portfolio submission, audition, or interview information.
Adolescence (Secondary) Education – A minimum 3.0 GPA. A “B” or better in English Composition I and II.
Early Childhood/Childhood (Elementary) Education - A minimum 3.0 GPA. A "B" or better in English Composition I and II.
Business (all programs) - A minimum GPA of 2.75; with 45+ earned credits must have completed English Composition I & II, Microeconomics or Macroeconomics and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course.
Communication Disorders – A minimum GPA of 3.0
Psychology – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a minimum of a “C” or better in General Psychology and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course.
Mathematics- A minimum GPA of 2.75 and completion of Calculus I and be enrolled in Calculus II
Biology - A minimum GPA of 2.75 and must have completed General Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, and Pre-Calculus.
All majors in the School of Science and Engineering require the completion of Pre-Calculus.
SECOND DEGREE APPLICATION DUE DATES
Fall Enrollment - May 1
Fall Enrollment for Art & Art Education - May 1
Spring Enrollment - December 1
Spring Enrollment for Art & Art Education - December 1
SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change application due dates without notice.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
New Paltz admission uses email as its official method of communication. In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application please make sure your email address that you provided on your application is correct. Please add SUNY New Paltz to your address book to avoid emails from newpaltz.edu being sent to spam folders.
TRANSCRIPT SUBMISSION AND CONTACT INFORMATION
Office of Undergraduate Admission
SUNY New Paltz
100 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, NY 12561-2499
(845) 257-3209 (fax)