Policies: Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grade Option

Students may utilize the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading Option for select courses during their undergraduate study; a number of important restrictions apply (listed below). Under this option, the student's grade for a course will be recorded on his or her transcript as S* (student-elected Satisfactory) or U* (student-elected Unsatisfactory). Neither grade will affect the student's GPA.

Students elect the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory option under Registration - S/U Grading Option in my.newpaltz.edu. The course instructor is not informed that a course is being taken S*/U* and will submit the letter grade earned by the student. Letter grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C- will convert to "S*" (satisfactory) while grades of D+, D, D- and F will convert to "U*" (unsatisfactory). S* grades count toward graduation; U* grades do not.

Upon a student's request, a student-opted S* or U* grade may be changed back to a regular letter grade, which will then be counted in the cumulative average and appear on the College record. Such a request will be honored for a period of one calendar year after the semester in which the student earned the S* or U* or until the student graduates, whichever period is shorter. [Policy revision effective Fall 2012.]

The following restrictions apply to the use of the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading Option:

  • Students who began at New Paltz as freshmen or who entered New Paltz with fewer than 60 transfer credits may select the S*/U* grading option four times during their undergraduate work. A student may use the S*/U* option for no more than four credits per semester and for no more than 12 credits of undergraduate work at New Paltz.
  • Students with 60 or more transfer credits may use the S*/U* grading option two times. [Policy revision effective Fall 2014.]
  • Courses that have been elected Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory will NOT be counted toward fulfillment of the General Education or Writing Intensive requirements, the Education curricula, or the student's major or minor requirements, unless the student requests that the S* or U* be changed to a regular letter grade.
  • Students may not select the S*/U* option for Composition I (ENG160) or Composition II (ENG180) or the equivalent. Independent study courses also may not be taken S*/U*. Graduate students may not elect S*/U* for courses in their plans of study.
  • The deadline for choosing S*/U* is one week after the course withdrawal deadline. Refer to the Academic Calendar for the exact date each semester.