Policies: The Replace Grading Policy

The Replace Grading Policy will be automatically applied when a student takes a course a second time. Both the first and second grades will appear on the transcript; however, only the second grade will contribute to the student's cumulative GPA. A student will earn degree credit for the course only once. A course may be attempted for a grade no more than two times. A "grade" is defined as including A-F, W, S/U or R. A student who has a compelling case to attempt a course a third time may present his/her case to the Dean of the school that houses the course. If permission is granted, grades for attempts beyond the first two will be averaged with all other grades in the cumulative GPA. A student with 60 or more transfer credits may replace two grades under the Replace Grading Policy. A student with fewer than 60 transfer credits may replace four grades under the policy.  [policy revision effective Fall 2012]

The Replace Grading Policy does not apply to graduate courses, selected topics courses (xxx93), modular courses (xxx99) or special courses (i.e. Independent Study - xxx95, Fieldwork - xxx94) which are allowed to be repeated for degree credit.

The Replace Grading Policy does not apply if the student elected the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Grading Option the first time the course was taken. If a student selects the S/U Grading Option a second time a course is attempted, the grade of “S” or “U” will not replace the first grade in the cumulative GPA calculation. This is because grades of “S” and “U” do not carry quality points. If a letter grade is re-selected to replace the S/U, that letter grade will fall under the Replace Grading Policy. Note, in any case, that you cannot receive credit twice for the same course.

The Replace Grading Policy only applies to courses taken at New Paltz. Therefore, retaking a course at another institution and transferring it back to New Paltz does not affect the grade at New Paltz. Further, only credits, not grades, transfer.

Students receiving or interested in applying for financial aid should be aware that repeated courses may adversely affect their satisfactory progress. Check with the Office of Student Accounts for details.