| Blackboard | Hawkmail | Library | Zimbra

A-Z Index | Contact Us | People-Finder

» Current Students | » Faculty & Staff | » Future Students | » Parents | » Alumni, Donors & Friends | » Athletics | » Employment | » Give Today!

classroom photo

Policies: Changes

Academic Policies and Procedures » Recent Academic Policy Changes and Clarifications

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading Option

Students may enroll in selected courses that will be recorded as "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory." This option may be exercised for no more than four credits per semester and for no more than a total of 12 credits of undergraduate work at New Paltz.

Letter grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C- will convert to "S*" (satisfactory) while grades of D+, D, D- and F will convert to "U*" (unsatisfactory). S* grades count toward graduation; U* grades do not. Upon a student's request, a student-opted S* or U* mark may be changed back to a regular letter grade, which will then be counted in the cumulative average and appear on the College record. Such a request will be honored for a period of one calendar year [formerly, three calendar years] after the semester in which a student has earned a student-opted S* or U* mark or until the student graduates, whichever period is shorter.

Courses that have been elected satisfactory/unsatisfactory will NOT be counted towards the fulfillment of requirements for General Education, Writing Intensive, the Education curricula, the major, the minor, or the Engineering curriculum, unless the student requests that the S* or U* be changed to a regular letter grade.

Students may not select the s/u option for English Composition I or 2 or the equivalent.  Independent study courses also may not be taken satisfactory/unsatisfactory.  Graduate students may not elect satisfactory/unsatisfactory for courses in their plan of study.

The deadline for choosing the s/u option is one week later than the course withdrawal deadline.  See the Academic Calendar for the exact date each semester.

Students elect the s/u option under my.personalrecords at  The course instructor is not informed that a course is being taken U*/S*.

Policy change approved May 2012, effective Fall 2012


The Replace Grading Policy

The Replace Grading Policy will be automatically applied when a student takes a course a second time. Both the first and second grades will appear on the transcript; however, only the second grade will contribute to the student's cumulative GPA. [Formerly, the higher of the two grades contributed to the cumulative GPA.] A student will earn degree credit for the course only once. A course may be attempted for a grade no more than two times. A "grade" is defined as including A-F, W, S/U or R. A student who has a compelling case to attempt a course a third time may present his/her case to the Dean of the school that houses the course. If permission is granted, grades for attempts beyond the first two will be averaged with all other grades in the cumulative GPA. A student with 60 or more transfer credits may replace two grades under the Replace Garding Policy. A student with fewer than 60 transfer credits may replace four grades under the policy.

The Replace Grading Policy does not apply to graduate courses, selected topics courses (xxx93), modular courses (xxx99) or special courses (i.e. Independent Study - xxx95, Fieldwork - xxx94) which are allowed to be repeated for degree credit.

The Replace Grading Policy does not apply if the student elected the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Grading Option the first time the course was taken. If a student selects the S/U Grading Option a second time a course is attempted, the grade of "S" or "U" will not replace the first grade in the cumulative GPA calculation. This is because grades of "S" and "U" do not carry quality points. If a letter grade is re-selected to replace the S/U, that letter grade will fall under the Replace Grading Policy. Note, in any case you cannot receive credit twice for the same course.

Policy change approved May 2012, effective Fall 2012