Effective Fall 2015:
- At least 24 college credits
- Overall GPA of at least 3.0
- Grades of "B" or better in Composition I & II (ENG160 & ENG180 or equivalent)
- Fingerprint clearance noted on NYS TEACH account
- Meet any entrance criteria set by the academic concentration department
- Freshmen must successfully complete EDI293 Education Seminar (1 credit).
- Sophomores and new transfer students must (1) submit documentation of 30 hours of independent/pre-program fieldwork (classroom observations; paid or volunteer work with children in schools, camps, daycare centers; coaching; tutoring; etc.) and (2) complete a 20-minute writing sample (to be evaluated by Elementary Education faculty for appropriate English grammar and usage).
Due to the highly structured and sequenced nature of the Early Childhood & Childhood Education (B-6) program, students who intend to transfer to New Paltz must plan their transfer coursework carefully. Several General Education requirements should be fulfilled under advisement by specific courses that also serve as education prerequisites. Students in an AA/AS degree program should complete all, or nearly all, New Paltz education prerequisites prior to transfer, so that upon matriculation at New Paltz they may begin junior-year education methods courses.
Transfer students may use American Sign Language courses to fulfill their General Education and Early Childhood & Childhood Education foreign language requirements.