Program Entrance Requirements (effective Fall 2015)
- At least 30 college credits
- At least 3.0 overall GPA
- Grades of "B" or better in Composition I & II
- 20-minute on-site writing sample (to be evaluated by Elementary Education faculty for appropriate English grammar and usage)
- 30 hours of pre-program fieldwork (paid or volunteer work with children in schools, camps, daycare centers, child/family agencies; coaching; tutoring; classroom observations; etc.)
- Fingerprinting Clearance noted on NYS TEACH Account (waived as an entrance requirement for students who will take EED370 at New Paltz)
Due to the highly structured and sequenced nature of the Early Childhood & Childhood Education (B-6) program, students who intend to transfer to New Paltz must plan their transfer coursework carefully. Several General Education requirements should be fulfilled under advisement by specific courses that also serve as education prerequisites. Students in an AA/AS degree program should complete all, or nearly all, New Paltz education prerequisites prior to transfer, so that upon matriculation at New Paltz they may begin junior-year education methods courses.
Transfer students may use American Sign Language courses to fulfill their General Education and Early Childhood & Childhood Education foreign language requirements.