The Center for Student Development is dedicated to fostering student success and a sense of belonging for all students and families connected to New Paltz. Our goals are to; provide a positive transitional experience, maximize the retention and success of students, offer opportunities for leadership and social development to campus and the local community, serve as a primary link to campus for the parents and family members of our new and continuing students and foster a campus environment that promotes healthy and responsible decision making.
As a result of participating in orientation and other programs the Center for Student Development offers, students will learn to:
- Name campus resources and offices that are available to help them in their transition to New Paltz
Identify transition issues they may encounter in their first-year
- Describe community expectations and student responsibilities to the New Paltz community
Create a class schedule for the following semester
- Utilize my.newpaltz.edu, NP Alert, Blackboard, etc.
- Recognize the benefits of continued interaction with their Orientation Leader/Peer Mentor
Identify strategies for preventing sexual violence
- Give examples of strategies for reducing high-risk drinking
- Identify options for first-year engagement, including programming and leadership opportunities
Student OL/Peer Mentors & other Center for Student Development Staff will learn to:
- Lead small groups
- Speak in public
- Manage their time with numerous tasks
- Work independently to apply critical thinking and problem solving skill sets