Using the Student Email List for Recruitment
Who can use the email list?
The list is available to all individuals affiliated with the State University of New York at New Paltz (SUNY New Paltz) including students, staff, and faculty.
How many people will receive the email?
Currently, there are approximately 10, 000 subscribers to the email list. All SUNY New Paltz students are initially subscribed to the list, but they can opt out if they want.
What must I do to use the email list?
You must get your survey research approved by the IRB and then you must give a copy of your approval letter to Paul Chauvet in Computer Services (see contact information below).
How do I send an email on this list?
You must contact Paul Chauvet in Computer Services. His contact information is listed below.
UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
State University of New York at New Paltz
What should I say in my recruitment email?
You should provide the following information in the body of the email:
- Contact information for the researcher (including an email address).
- Your name, department or program, and your position at the university (e.g., Graduate Student)
- The fact that this is a research study in the first line.
- A description about what the survey is about.
- Disclosure about any topics or questions that might be of a sensitive nature.
- A statement that the research is approved by the IRB (preferred not required)
- Include the URL for the survey.
- Include a realistic time frame
What should the Subject of the email say?
The Subject of the email should be specific and briefly describe the purpose of the survey. For example: “Career Exploration Survey”
Avoid beginning with general statements that may make your email sound like SPAM. For example, do not start with a general statement or question like “Would you like to participate in a survey?” To avoid being confused with SPAM it is best to start off with a brief statement indicating that you are conducting a research survey and the purpose of your survey.
Do I need IRB approval?
Yes, all research projects using this email list must receive IRB approval prior to recruiting participants. The researcher must bring a copy of his/her IRB approval letter to Paul Chauvet.
How long will it take to get my email sent out?
Approximately 2 business days.
Can I send a follow up reminder?
No, only one email per survey will be sent on the list.