Interim Coordinator: Devon Duhaney
In response to the regional need for professionals prepared to educate students of limited English proficiency, SUNY New Paltz offers a Master of Science in Education in Second Language Education. This thirty-six credit program leads to certification (initial and professional) in English to Speakers of Other Languages (Pre K-12).
The program includes core courses (twelve credits), specialized courses (fifteen credits), and additional courses in professional education (nine credits).
- One official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate course work; the baccalaureate transcript should be from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average in the major, and a 3.0 cumulative GPA overall.
- Evidence of valid New York State Certification
- Three letters of recommendation
- All students who apply (not matriculate) to an education graduate program on or after August 20, 2015 will be required to complete the GRE. Prior to this date, no GRE is required.
- For international students, a minimum score of 575 on the TOEFL or 90 on the internet-based TOEFL.
- Demonstration of experience and/or interest in working with culturally and linguistically diverse students.
Admission Requirements - TESOL
Satisfactory completion of twelve semester hours of study in a language and culture other than English. All courses must be conducted in the target language.