Are you interested in studying with engaging and supportive professors, who are active scholars in their fields and bring real-world experience to teaching? Are you willing to be surprised, challenged, and encouraged to become the most thoughtful, creative, and effective middle and high school teacher you can be? If so, then you have come to the right place!
The Department of Secondary Education offers instruction leading to New York State initial and professional certification to teach the following subjects in grades 7-12: English, foreign languages (French and Spanish), mathematics, the sciences (biology, chemistry, earth science, and physics), teaching English as a second language (masters degree only) and social studies. Certificates for teaching in New York State are generally accepted for teaching in many other states.
While you are here, you will take courses with nationally and internationally known scholars. Here is just some of the research our faculty is pursuing:
- environmental education and indigenous hip hop culture
- using improvisational theater to improve classroom discourse
- teaching English language learners in the mainstream classroom
- integrating technology within the classroom environment
- schooling and education abroad
- problem solving and inquiry in science
- engaging youth in the arguments of cutting-edge historians
Dr. Laura Dull, Chair
Laura Bohan, Secretary
Old Main Building, Room 323
Department Office (845) 257-2850, e-mail: email@example.com