2017-2018 Student Activities Manager Applications are due Monday, March 6 at 12pm.
- Be a full-time, matriculated undergraduate student at SUNY New Paltz
- Plan to be enrolled full-time for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018
- Have (and maintain) at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA
- Be in good disciplinary standing with the Division of Student Affairs
- Provide a current resume and Co-Curricular Transcript
- Previous managerial and supervisory experience
- Audio/visual technology equipment experience
- Customer service/communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse public
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle frequent interruptions and/or task changes
Get answers to SAM FAQs about the Student Activities Manager position, compensation, and selection process.
2017-2018 SAM Selection Timeline
Thursday, Feb. 9 @ 5pm in SU 401 (Canceled due to weather)
Wednesday, Feb. 15 @ 8pm in SU 100S
OR Thursday, Feb. 23 @ 5pm in SU 401
Stop in to a Student Activities Manager Information Session to learn more about the position, the application process, and get your questions answered from a current SAM. (Optional)
Monday, March 6, 2017 @ Noon
Application, resume, co-curricular transcript and two (2) recommendation forms are due. Everything must be submitted electronically via the online form (see below). Recommendation forms may be submitted on paper to the Office of Student Activities and Union Services (SU 211).
Please note that it is the candidate's responsibility to ensure that all components of the application, including recommendation forms, are submitted by this date and time. Candidates who do not meet the minimum qualifications, and/or those who do not have complete application packages will be notified of their ineligibility to continue in the selection process via New Paltz email.
Wednesday, March 8, 2017 @ 5pm
All candidates will receive an email indicating whether or not they are invited to continue in the SAM selection process.
Monday March 13 through Friday, March 17, 2017
First Round Interviews for invited candidates.
Wednesday, March 29, 2017
Candidates notified via New Paltz e-mail by 5 p.m. whether or not they are invited to continue in the SAM application process.
Monday, April 3 through Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Second round interviews for invited candidates.
Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Candidates will be notified of decisions by New Paltz e-mail by 5 p.m.; candidates who are offered positions will receive instructions for acceptance.
Hired Student Activities Managers and alternates for 2017-2018 will attend one staff meeting, one individual meeting, and participate in six hours of shadowing a current SAM before the end of the Spring 2016 semester (all to be scheduled based on availability).
Your complete SAM Application will contain:
- Application form (see below)
- A current resume (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the application form)
- A current Co-Curricular Transcript (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the application form).
- Written responses (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the application form - no more than one page per question)
1. Briefly describe one experience you've had at New Paltz that you feel has best prepared you to be a SAM. Explain why/how this experience prepared you.
2. How will the SAM experience enhance your academic career at New Paltz?
- SAM Recommendation Form (print 2)
- Please give a Recommendation Form to two (2) individuals who would be able to best comment on your abilities as a potential Student Activities Manager. It is strongly encouraged that these forms be filled out by New Paltz faculty or staff members. Please note that current Student Activities Staff, family, friends, and New Paltz students (including SAMs, CDAs, RAs, RMs, OLs, PMs, etc.) are not eligible fill out these forms.
- Two (2) Recommendation Forms are due back to the Office of Student Activities & Union Services (SU 211) by Monday, March 6, 2017.
Complete your 17-18 SAM Application Now!