We are no longer accepting applications for 2013-2014 SAM Positions.
- Be a full-time, matriculated undergraduate student at SUNY New Paltz
- Sophomore status (30 credits) or higher at start of the position (Fall 2013)
- Have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA
- Be in good disciplinary standing with the Division of Student Affairs
- Live on campus for the duration of employment (full academic year)
- Previous leadership and/or co-curricular involvement at New Paltz
- Current resume and Co-Curricular Transcript
- Previous Managerial and Supervisory Experience
- Audio/Visual Technology Equipment Experience
- Customer Service/Communication Skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse public
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle frequent interruptions and/or task changes
For a more complete job description, please review the Student Activities Manager Conditions of Employment here.
Student Activities Manager Selection Timeline
Wednesday, February 27 at 8pm in SU 209 or
Tuesday, March 5 at 4pm in SU 204
Stop into a Student Activities Manager General Information session to learn more about the position, the application process, and get your questions answered from a current SAM!
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 5pm
Application, resume, co-curricular transcript and two (2) Recommendation Forms are due. Everything must be submitted electronically at www.newpaltz.edu/saus/sam . Recommendation forms may be submitted on paper to the Office of Student Activities and Union Services (SU 211).
Please note that it is the Candidate's responsibility to ensure that all components of the Application, including Recommendation Forms, are submitted by this date and time. Candidates who do not meet the minimum qualifications, and/or those who do not have complete application packages will be notified of their ineligibility to continue in the selection process via New Paltz email by Monday, March 25 at 5pm.
Friday, March 29, 2013 (Spring Break)
All candidates will receive an email by 5pm regarding their whether or not they are invited to continue in the SAM Selection Process.
Wednesday, April 3 through Tuesday, April 9, 2013
First Round Interviews for invited candidates.
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Candidates notified via New Paltz e-mail by 5pm whether or not they are invited to continue in the SAM Application Process.
Monday, April 15 – Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Second Round Interviews for Invited Candidates.
Monday, April 22, 2013
Candidates will be notified of decisions by New Paltz e-mail by 5pm; candidates who are offered positions will receive instructions for acceptance.
Hired Student Activities Managers and Alternates for 2013-2014 will attend one staff meeting, one individual meeting, and participate in 6 hours of shadowing a current SAM before the end of the Spring 2013 semester (all to be scheduled based on availability).
Click here for a printable version of this timeline.
2013-2013 SAM Application Materials
A complete SAM Application will consist of the following items, all submitted electronically via the form below, unless otherwise indicated.
Application Form (see below)
A current Resume (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the Application Form)
A current Co-Curricular Transcript (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the Application Form). If you do not have a Co-Curricular Transcript, click here to learn more about how to create one!
*****Please note: If you were not able to attend a Co-Curricular Transcript Enrollment Workshop, please plan to on Friday, March 22 at 11am in LC 110 OR Thursday, April 11 at 12pm in LC 110. You may complete your application without having completed your CCT; there are instructions in the application.
Written Responses (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the Application Form - no more than one page per question)
1. Please describe one previous leadership and/or co-curricular experience at New Paltz that you feel has best prepared you to be a SAM.
2. What one specific skill do you foresee gaining through the SAM position, and how would this skill benefit your future career?
Two Recommendations Forms
- Please give two Recommendation Forms to individuals who would be able to best comment on your abilities as a potential Student Activities Manager. It is strongly encouraged that these forms be filled out by New Paltz faculty or staff members. Please note that current Student Activities Staff, family, friends, and New Paltz students (including SAMs, CDAs, RAs, RMs, OLs, PMs, etc.) are not eligible fill out these forms.
Two Recommendation Forms are due back to the Office of Student Activities & Union Services (SU 211) by Friday, March 22, 2013. Please make sure that your references return these forms by the due date, otherwise your application will be incomplete.
- Please note -- this is the ONLY paper used for your application. Everything else will be submitted electronically using the Application Form below.