- Be a full-time, matriculated undergraduate student at SUNY New Paltz
- Sophomore status or higher at start of the position (Fall 2015)
- Have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA
- Be in good disciplinary standing with the Division of Student Affairs
- Live on campus for the duration of employment (full academic year)
- Previous leadership and/or co-curricular involvement at New Paltz
- Current resume and Co-Curricular Transcript
- Previous Managerial and Supervisory Experience
- Audio/Visual Technology Equipment Experience
- Customer Service/Communication Skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse public
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle frequent interruptions and/or task changes
For a more complete job description, please review the Anticipated 15-16 Student Activities Manager Conditions of Employment.
Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Student Activities Manager Selection Process.
Student Activities Manager Selection Timeline
8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 26 in Student Union 401/405 or
6:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 4 in Student Union 402
Stop in to a Student Activities Manager General Information session to learn more about the position, the application process, and get your questions answered from a current SAM! (Optional)
5 p.m. Monday, March 23, 2015
Application, resume, co-curricular transcript and two (2) Recommendation Forms are due. Everything must be submitted electronically at www.newpaltz.edu/saus/sam . Recommendation forms may be submitted on paper to the Office of Student Activities and Union Services (SU 211).
Please note that it is the Candidate's responsibility to ensure that all components of the Application, including Recommendation Forms, are submitted by this date and time. Candidates who do not meet the minimum qualifications, and/or those who do not have complete application packages will be notified of their ineligibility to continue in the selection process via New Paltz email by 5 p.m. Tuesday, March 24.
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
All candidates will receive an email by 5 p.m. regarding their whether or not they are invited to continue in the SAM Selection Process.
Monday, March 30 - Friday, April 3, 2015
First Round Interviews for invited candidates.
Wednesday, April 8, 2015
Candidates notified via New Paltz e-mail by 5 p.m. whether or not they are invited to continue in the SAM Application Process.
Monday, April 13 - Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Second Round Interviews for Invited Candidates.
Monday, April 20, 2015
Candidates will be notified of decisions by New Paltz e-mail by 5 p.m.; candidates who are offered positions will receive instructions for acceptance.
Hired Student Activities Managers and Alternates for 2015-2016 will attend one staff meeting, one individual meeting, and participate in 6 hours of shadowing a current SAM before the end of the Spring 2015 semester (all to be scheduled based on availability).
2015-2016 SAM Application Materials
A complete SAM Application will consist of the following items, all submitted electronically via the form below, unless otherwise indicated.
Application Form (see below)
A current Resume (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the Application Form)
A current Co-Curricular Transcript (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the Application Form). If you do not have a Co-Curricular Transcript, click here to learn more about how to create one!
Written Responses (to be uploaded as a .pdf in the Application Form - no more than one page per question)
1. Briefly describe one experience you've had at New Paltz that you feel has best prepared you to be a SAM; explain why/how this experience prepared you.
2. What are your future career goals, and how will the SAM position directly contribute to them?
Two (2) Recommendations Forms
- Please give two Recommendation Forms to individuals who would be able to best comment on your abilities as a potential Student Activities Manager. It is strongly encouraged that these forms be filled out by New Paltz faculty or staff members. Please note that current Student Activities Staff, family, friends, and New Paltz students (including SAMs, CDAs, RAs, RMs, OLs, PMs, etc.) are not eligible fill out these forms.
Two Recommendation Forms are due back to the Office of Student Activities & Union Services (SU 211) by Monday, March 23, 2015. Please make sure that your references return these forms by the due date, otherwise your application will be incomplete.
- Please note -- this is the ONLY paper used for your application. Everything else will be submitted electronically using the Application Form below.
- Print a Recommendation Form (you will need two)