The Office of Student Activities and Union Services wants to help make your experience as an off-campus or commuter student as easy and enjoyable as possible. Between our programs, services, and facilities, we truly strive to make the Student Union and SUNY New Paltz a home-away-from-home for you. Feel free to stop by our office in Student Union 211 to say hello, meet the staff and make some suggestions as to how we can improve campus life for you even more.
Commuter Assistant Program
The Commuter Assistant Program connects new off-campus and commuter students with "seasoned" off-campus and commuter students who provide support and camaraderie during the new students' first year. Commuter Assistants are campus leaders who are dedicated to helping other students have a great college experience. Our Commuter Assistants hold office hours in the Commuter Lounge and host programs throughout the year that specifically meet the needs of our off-campus and commuter students. Check back soon for information for the Fall 2014 Semester!
Visit the Commuter Lounge on the first floor of the Student Union. This space was specifically designed with Commuter Students in mind, as a place to come and hang out in between classes. There are tables where you can do homework, couches and a big-screen TV to relax, a printer, charging stations for your laptop/cell phone, a microwave to heat up your lunch, and information on upcoming programs and events for commuters and off-campus students.
Commuter Locker Rentals
Consider renting a locker in the Student Union for your books and personal items. Instead of carrying everything back and forth between your car/apartment and classes, you can keep items on campus. Lockers are in the lower level of the Student Union (near the Bookstore). Rentals are $10 per semester (plus a $10 deposit), and you can rent for one semester or the academic year. Visit the Office of Student Activities and Union Services at the start of each semester to sign up.
Get text message and/or email reminders about our events. To sign up go to my.newpaltz.edu, click on "Student Services" where you can adjust your settings for NP Alert.
Whether you are driving your car to campus or taking the bus, please utilize these resources for all of your transportation needs. Be sure to also stop by the Ulster County Area Transit bulletin board on the first floor of the Student Union (next to the elevators) for schedules and maps.
- Ulster County Area Transit - Information on getting around in Ulster County and surrounding areas, including schedules and fares.
- Ulster-Poughkeepsie LINK Schedule - Take this bus from campus to the Poughkeepsie Train Station (Metro-North, Amtrak); FREE with your New Paltz student ID.
- New Paltz Loop - UCAT Bus that travels through campus and New Paltz daily (including weekends!); FREE with your New Paltz student ID.
- Commuter Information - Carpooling, public transportation, and mass transit options throughout the Hudson Valley.
- Trailways - Bus service connecting students to New York City, Long Island, and locations throughout New York State.
Information for Students Commuting from Home
- Fast Facts for Commuters - A resource with tips and things to consider when you're living at home and commuting to campus.
- Parking on Campus - Information about parking passes and a listing of Commuter Lots.
Information for Students Living Off-Campus
- Fast Facts for Students Living Off-Campus - A resource with tips and things to consider when you're renting an apartment.
- New Paltz Resources for Off-Campus Students
- A Guide to your Rights as a Tenant
- A Guide to Small Claims Court
- Living Off-Campus 101- The PowerPoint presentation from the workshop hosted each semester by the Office of Student Activities and Union Services.