1989: Israel in the World
- Arthur Hertzberg, "The Origins and Contemporary
Relevance of Zionism"
- Lewis Brownstein, "A History of the Middle East
- Kenneth Stone, "Jewish Land Purchases in Palestine"
- Arthur Klinghoffer, "Soviet Policy in the Middle
- Don Peretz, "Jewish and Israeli-Arab Relations"
- Ilan Peleg, "The Intifada"
- Tzion Evrony, "Israel's Desire for Peace"
- Ehud Sprinzak, "Israel's Divided Population"
- Jeffrey Ross, "The Question of Anti-Zionism"
- Robert Weiner, "Israel and the Diaspora Jew"
1990: Jewish Spirituality
- Michael Fishbane, "Biblical Prophecy"
- Judith Plaskow, "Feminist Jewish Spirituality"
- Ira Eisenstein, "Spirituality: A Reconstructionist
- Richard Rubenstein, "Post-Holocaust Theology"
- Arthur Waskow, "Ancient Torah, Future World"
- Lawrence Kushner, "Yourself and the Self of the
- Arthur Green, "Hasidic Spirituality"
- Don Well, "Spirituality and Halakah"
- Martha Himmelfarb, "Apocalypse"
- Edward Feld, "Spinoza and the Problem of Modernity"
- Zalman Schechter, "Neo-Hasidism and the Jewish Renewal"
1991: Jewish Identity
- Irving Levine, "The Future of Jewish Identity and
the New American Pluralism"
- Steven Cohen, "American Assimilation or Jewish Revival?"
- Hannah Kliger, "Jewish Immigrant Associations in
- Gerald Sorin, "Immigrant Radicalism and Jewish Identity"
- Deborah Dash Moore, "Jewish Migration After World
- Rakhmiel Peltz, "Children of Jewish Immigrants Return
- Stephen Whitfield, "South Florida and the Future
of Jewish Identity"
- Paula Hyman, "Gender and the Definition of American
- Rachel Cowan, "The Spiritual Journey of a Jew by
1992: Jewish Literature Through the Ages
- Lawrence Kushner, "A Mystical Introduction to the
- Tikva Frymer-Kensky, "Ancient Near-Eastern Mythology
and the Bible"
- Ivan Caine, "Who Wrote the Bible?"
- William Strongin, "Erotic Theology: The Song of
- Steven Fraade, "Midrash"
- Lawrence Fishman, "Scholars and Scrolls"
- Shaul Magid, "Hanukkah in the Talmud"
- Ross Brann, "Profane and Sacred in Medieval Hebrew
- Lawrence Fine, "Kabbalah"
- Richard Fein, "The Discovery of Yiddish Literature"
- Audrey Borenstein, "In the Field of Boaz: Writing
1993: The Jewish Diaspora
- Eli Evans, "Growing up Jewish in the American South"
- Zvi Gittelman, "Jews in the Soviet Disunion"
- Helene Kenvin, "Jews in the Caucasus and Central
- Joan Roland, "The Jews of India"
- Andrew Plaks, "The Jews of China"
- Norman Stillman, "Jews in the World of Islam"
- Judith Friedlander, "Jewish Intellectuals and the
Idea of the French Nation-State"
- Judith Elkin, "Latin American Jewry"
- Todd Endelman, "British Jewry Since World War II"
- Gerald Sorin, "Remnants of Jewish Life in Contemporary
Europe: A Personal Journey"
1994: Arabs and Israelis: Perspectives on the Past,
Prospects for the Future
- Lewis Brownstein, "The Arab-Israeli Conflict in
- Mitchell Cohen, "Nationalism and the Birth of the
- Anton Shammas, "The Morning After Revisited: The
Palestinians of Israel and the Would-be Palestinian
- Martin Edelman, "Equal Justice and the Palestinian
- Daniel Pipes, "Syria and the Peace Process in the
- Meron Benvenisti, "Settlement, Settlers, and the
Palestinians on the West Bank"
- Shlomo Avnieri, "Modern Zionism and the Peace Process
in the Middle East"
- Mervin Verbit, "Islam and Modern Arab Politics"
1995: Jews, Art, and Technology
- Samuel Kurinsky, "Creativity and the Jews"
- Eric Meyers, "Art and Architecture in Ancient Synagogues"
- Samuel Kurinsky, "The Glassmakers"
- Marc Epstein, "Dreams of Subversion: Religion, Art,
and Politics in the Middle Ages"
- Bill Vanaver, "Jewish Folk and Spiritual Music"
- Eitan Weiner-Kaplow, "Jewish Scribal Arts"
- Neil Gabler, "Jews and Hollywood"
- Moshe Lazar, "Marc Chagall: Painter and Poet"
- Lisa Epstein, "Jews and Medicine"
1996: Women and the Jewish Experience
- Tikva Frymer-Kensky, "Women at Sinai"
- Debra Schultz, "Northern Jewish Women and the Civil
- Carole Levin, "Jewish Women and Renaissance Drama"
- Deborah Dash Moore, "Hadassah and the Romance of
- Jenna W. Joselit, "Jewish Women, the Family, and
- Pamela Nadell, "'Her Mouth is Full of Wisdom': The
Movement for Women's Rabbinic Ordination"
- Riv-Ellen Prell, "Jewish Men, Jewish Women: Gender
and the Process of Americanization"
- Leila Gal Berner, "The New Jewish Woman and Life
- Lynn Davidman, "Women and Orthodoxy"
- Joyce Antler, "'Born Yelling': The Jewish Roots
- Gerald Sorin, "'Two Cheers' for Jewish Mothers"
1997: Jewish Biography
- William Strongin, "Profiles in Chutzpah: the Life
of King David"
- Tikva Frymer-Kensky, "Snippets of Lives: Views on
- Dorothy Bilik, "A Woman of Valor: The Life of Glückel
- Jacob Staub, "A Tale of Two Thinkers: Maimonides
- Leilah Gal Berner, "Doņa Gracia and Her Sisters:
Jewish Women in Medieval Spain"
- Lawrence Schiffman, "Josephus: Loyal Historian or
- David Teutsch, "An American Vision of Judaism: Mordecai
- Richard Fein, "Third Fiddler: On Being a Jewish
- Lewis Brownstein, "The Man Yitzhak Rabin"
- Jim Challey, "The Relative Truth About Albert Einstein"
1998: Guide for the Perplexed
- Tikva Frymer-Kensky, "Conceiving Creation"
- Lawrence Schiffman, "Rabbinic Ethics and Philosophy
in the Context of the Greco-Roman World"
- David Shatz, "Science and Spirituality in the Thought
- Leilah Gal Berner, "Jewish Views of the Messiah:
Second Temple to Third?"
- Stephen Garfinkel, "Kohelet: The Philosophy of Biblical
- Brian Schroeder, "Levinas's Metapaideia: Teaching
the Eye to Listen"
- Alan Udoff, "On Franz Rosenzweig and the Secret
of the New Thinking"
- Arthur Waskow, "Our Legs are Praying: Hasidic Foundations
of the Social Philosophy of Buber and Heschel"
1999: Jewish American Fiction: Projections and Self-Images
- Sanford Pinsker, "Is There Anything Left to Say
About Jewish-American Literature?"
- Nessa Rapoport, "A Taste of Text: A Jewish Writer
Reflects on the Millennium"
- Lev Raphael, "From Mysterious Jews to Jewish Mysteries:
A Child of Survivors Reflects on Writing and Identity"
- Richard Fein, "A Jewish Poet in America"
- Jay Neugeboren, "Imagining Jewish Fiction"
- Jonathan Rosen, "Between Tragedy and Hope: Writing
as a Jew at the Turn of the Millennium"
- Thane Rosenbaum, "Shattered Glass Fiction: Post-Holocaust
- Derek Rubin, "Old Values in a New World: Marginality
and Integrity in Saul Bellow's Herzog"
- Johanna Kaplan, "What Makes This Jewish Writer Jewish?"
- Morris Dickstein, "Three Generations of Jewish American
- Lawrence Shiffman, "Antisemitism Before Christianity:
The Origins of Judeophobia"
- Marc R. Cohen, "Antisemitism Under Crescent and
- Ursula Duba, "Tales from a Child of the Enemy"
- Richard Levy, "I Define Who is an Antisemite: The
History and Meaning of a Word"
- Leonard Dinnerstein, "Antisemitism in America"
- Lewis Brownstein, "Semite Versus Semite: Jewish
and Palestinian Images of one Another"
- Alan Udoff, "No Longer at Home in the World: Nazi
Evil Through theEyes of Jean Amery"
2001: The Search for Jewish American Culture
- Ilan Stavans, "The Star and the Crucifix: Jewish
Literature in Latin America"
- Stephen Whitfield, "'Fiddler on the Roof' as a Popular
- Phil Brown, "A Summer Eden: The Jewish Experience
in the Catskills"
- Andrea Most, "Assimilation in Rodgers and Hammerstein's
- Allen Guttmann, "'Hitting One Against Hitler': Jewish
Athletes and Racial Stereotypes"
- Donald Weber, "The Limits of Empathy: Hollywood's
Imagination of Jews in 'Crossfire' and 'Gentleman's
- Jack Kugelmass, "You Too Can Be a Jew: 'How to'
Books as Contemporary Etiquette Books"
- Henry Sapoznik, "The Stations That Spoke Your Language:
Yiddish-American Radio, 1925-1955"
2002: Reimagining the Holocaust
- Berel Lang, "Undoing Certain Mischievous Questions
About the Holocaust"
- Deborah Dash Moore, "Liberating Europe: Jewish GIs
Discover the Holocaust"
- Yaffa Eliach, "The Tower of Life at the US Holocaust
Memorial Museum: An Album of Humankind"
- James E. Young, "After- images of the Holocaust
in Contemporary Art and Architecture"
- Alan Mintz, "The Past and Future of Holocaust Memory
- Jeffrey Shandler, "Living Room Witnesses: the Holocaust
on American Television"
- Brana Gurewitsch, "Jewish Women in the Holocaust"
- Joyce Apsel, "Anne Frank: Identity, History, and
- Daniel Asa Rose, "The Making of Hiding Places: Our
Ancestors and Ourselves"
2003: The Pre-Holocaust Jewish World
- Jeffrey Shandler, "Autobiographies Of Jewish Youth
In Poland Before The Holocaust"
- Michael Stanislawski, "Jewish Life In Russia Before
The Holocaust: Myth And Reality"
- Eugene Sheppard, "'Squirming On The Pin-Point Of
'Why'?'": Weimar Jewish Intellectuals Between Conversion
- Paula Hyman, "Being A Jew In France Between The
- Lewis Brownstein, "Jewish Life In Palestine From
The Balfour Declaration To The 1939 White Paper"
- Deborah Dash Moore, "Jews In America Between The
2004: New Jewish-American Fiction
- Rachel Kadish, Jewish Writing: The Argument
- Joan Leegant, The Writing of Jewish Stories and Their Sources
- Dara Horn, How to be a Jewish Novelist Without Really Trying
- Paul Zakrzewski, Jewish American Fiction from the Edge
- Melvin Bukiet, Familiarity and Surprise
- Derek Rubin, Being Jewish and a Writer in America
2005: The World of Jewish Music
- Marcia Edelman, Discovering Jewish Music
- David Krakauer, The Klezmer World
- Robert Gluck, The Infusion and Reinterpretation of Elements from Host Cultures in Jewish Music
- Jeffrey Melnick, The Black-Jewish Century of American Music
- Hankus Netsky, Klezmer: Roots and Revival
- Carole Cowan, Contemporary Jewish Composers in America (post-1950s)
- Stanley Walden, Fiddlers on My Roof: On Being a Jewish Composer in the United States and Germany
- Austin Clarkson, Quest for a New Voice: Stefan Wolpe and the Modern Hebrew Art Song
- Carole Cowan, Women in Jewish Music
- Philip Ehrensaft, Why So Many
2006: The Jewish World in Documentary Film
- Love Story, Distinguished Professor Peter D.G. Brown
- Zuflucht in Shanghai, The Port of Last Resort, Associate Professor
Kristine Harris, Director of the Asian Studies Program
- Encounter in Ramallah, Professor Lewis Brownstein, former Chain, department of Political Science and International Relations
- Present Memory, Rabbi Daniel Polish, Director,
Hillel at SUNY New Paltz
- Jews and Buddhism, Rabbi William Strongin,
Jewish Studies Program
- Gender at the Grass Roots: Women in Nazi Germany, Professor Marion
- Undying Love, Professor Jan Schmidt, former
Chair, Department of English
- Mamadrama, Distinguished Professor Gerald Sorin,
Director, Jewish Studies Program
2007: Promised Lands: New Jewish-American Writing
- Derek Rubin, Writing from Home
- Jonathan Wilson, Goals
- Elisa Albert, Beshert.com
- Rivka Bernstein, Unto Each Lucky Bastard, His Own Lilac Tree
- Adam Wilson, The Porchies
- Aaron Hamburger, Lyudmila in the New World
- Yael Goldstein, Lonely, Lonely, Lonely Is the Lord of Hosts
- Lauren Grodstein, Homewrecker
- Jonathan Rosen, The True World
2008: The State of Israel at Sixty
- Rabbi Rena Blumenthal, Varieties of Liberal Judaism in Modern Israel
- Lewis Brownstein, Israel, and the Nature, Quality, and Consequences of ongoing Existential Threat
- Yoav Kaddar, Israel and the Arts: A “Siege Mentality”? and the Cultural Imagination (with a focus on dance)
- Barbara Mann 7 Simon H. Fabian, Tel Aviv, 1909-2009: The Creation of Jewish Urban Space
- Rakefet Zalashik, 60 years of Immigration: Ideology and the dynamics of becoming Israeli
- Tova Weitzman, No. Seventeen Was Anonymous
2010 The Changing Face(s) of Antisemitism
- Hasia Diner: Fitting Memorials: Postwar American Jews, the Holocaust, and the Shadow of Antisemitism
- Lewis Brownstein: Jews in the Mind of Modern Islam
- Eric Alterman: American Jews and Israel: The Burdens of Irresponsibility
- Peter Antelyes: Appropriating Anti-Semitism: How Jews Became Jewish-Americans Through Popular Culture
- William Strongin: Jews with Horns: the Ancient and Medieval Roots of Antisemitism
- Lawrence Bush: The Pride and AMBIVALENCE of Progressive Jews
2011: Jewish Americans and Popular Culture
- Jody Rosen: Yonkle Doodle Dandy: Tin Pan Alley's "Hebrew" Hits
- Lawrence Bush: Who Is a Jew? The Halakha of Lenny Bruce.”
- Jeffrey Shandler: Looking Back at "The Goldbergs": American Jewish Life on the Small Screen
- Natalie Friedman: Early Jewish American Literature: Anzia Yezierska
- Peter Antelyes: “Jews and Comix”
- Mark Kligman: Popular Jewish Music of Today: Hassidim,
- Klezmer and Debbie Friedman - What do they have in Common
- Yale Strom, "In the Memory of..." an original composition
2012: Jews and Modernism
- Natalie Friedman: Isaac Bashevis Singer and Modern American Jewish Writers
- Michelle Woods: Kafka in Amerika
- Peter Antelyes: George Gershwin and Modern Music
- Kenneth Silver: The Circle of Montparnasse: Jewish Artists in Paris 1905-1945
- Susan Goodman: Marc Chagall: Over the Rooftops of the World 1907-1917.
- Marilyn Reizbaum: James Joyce’s Judaic Other
- Linda Scherzer: “Through the Eyes of Enemies: Is the Middle East Ready for Peace?”
- Joel Mowbray: Israel’s Realities: Political and on-the-ground dynamics from the view of an American who’s in Israel every few months and What Will Bloom Following the Arab Spring?
2013: The Fall Louis and Mildred Resnick Lecture Series
Director, Gerald Sorin
The 25th Annual Holocaust Memorial Lecture
7:30 p.m. Wednesdays in Lecture Center 104
State University of New York at New Paltz
Preview announcement -- more details to follow:
Holocaust Literature for Young and Old:
Cross-Over Novels and Memoirs
Oct. 2 - Jan Z. Schmidt, Distinguished Professor of English, SUNY New Paltz
"Crossing the Line: What Are the Features of a Young Adult/Adult Literature Holocaust Work?"
Oct. 9 - Johanna Reiss, author of The Upstairs Room and The Journey Back
"The Holocaust: A Personal History"
Oct. 16 -- Francine Prose, author of Anne Frank: The Book and the Afterlife
Oct. 23 -- Rabbi William Strongin, Director of Jewish Studies, SUNY New Paltz
Oct. 30 -- Lawrence Bush, Editor, Jewish Currents
Resistance, Commemoration, and the Jewish Left
Personal Reflections on the Holocaust and Progressive Jewish Identity
The Fall 2014 Louis and Mildred Resnick Lecture Series
Director, Gerald Sorin
Wednesdays at 7:30 pm in Coykendall Science Building Auditorium
State University of New York at New Paltz
Jane Mushabac, Tales of the Spanish Jews
Marc Shanker, Traces of Sepharad: Judeo-Spanish Proverbs
Exhibition: at Elting Memorial Library, New Paltz, NY September 4 to October 4
Traces of Sepharad: Etchings of Judeo-Spanish Proverbs by Marc Shanker
Opening Reception: Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 7 pm
Jane Gerber, The "Golden Age" of Sephardic Jewry
Abigail Balbale, Peter "the Cruel" and Samuel Halevi Abulafia's 14th Century Synagogue
Marc Angel, Folk Wisdom and Intellectual Wisdom: Thoughts about Sephardic Civilization