1989: Israel in the World
- Arthur Hertzberg, "The Origins and Contemporary
Relevance of Zionism"
- Lewis Brownstein, "A History of the Middle East
- Kenneth Stone, "Jewish Land Purchases in Palestine"
- Arthur Klinghoffer, "Soviet Policy in the Middle
- Don Peretz, "Jewish and Israeli-Arab Relations"
- Ilan Peleg, "The Intifada"
- Tzion Evrony, "Israel's Desire for Peace"
- Ehud Sprinzak, "Israel's Divided Population"
- Jeffrey Ross, "The Question of Anti-Zionism"
- Robert Weiner, "Israel and the Diaspora Jew"
1990: Jewish Spirituality
- Michael Fishbane, "Biblical Prophecy"
- Judith Plaskow, "Feminist Jewish Spirituality"
- Ira Eisenstein, "Spirituality: A Reconstructionist
- Richard Rubenstein, "Post-Holocaust Theology"
- Arthur Waskow, "Ancient Torah, Future World"
- Lawrence Kushner, "Yourself and the Self of the
- Arthur Green, "Hasidic Spirituality"
- Don Well, "Spirituality and Halakah"
- Martha Himmelfarb, "Apocalypse"
- Edward Feld, "Spinoza and the Problem of Modernity"
- Zalman Schechter, "Neo-Hasidism and the Jewish Renewal"
1991: Jewish Identity
- Irving Levine, "The Future of Jewish Identity and
the New American Pluralism"
- Steven Cohen, "American Assimilation or Jewish Revival?"
- Hannah Kliger, "Jewish Immigrant Associations in
- Gerald Sorin, "Immigrant Radicalism and Jewish Identity"
- Deborah Dash Moore, "Jewish Migration After World
- Rakhmiel Peltz, "Children of Jewish Immigrants Return
- Stephen Whitfield, "South Florida and the Future
of Jewish Identity"
- Paula Hyman, "Gender and the Definition of American
- Rachel Cowan, "The Spiritual Journey of a Jew by
1992: Jewish Literature Through the Ages
- Lawrence Kushner, "A Mystical Introduction to the
- Tikva Frymer-Kensky, "Ancient Near-Eastern Mythology
and the Bible"
- Ivan Caine, "Who Wrote the Bible?"
- William Strongin, "Erotic Theology: The Song of
- Steven Fraade, "Midrash"
- Lawrence Fishman, "Scholars and Scrolls"
- Shaul Magid, "Hanukkah in the Talmud"
- Ross Brann, "Profane and Sacred in Medieval Hebrew
- Lawrence Fine, "Kabbalah"
- Richard Fein, "The Discovery of Yiddish Literature"
- Audrey Borenstein, "In the Field of Boaz: Writing
1993: The Jewish Diaspora
- Eli Evans, "Growing up Jewish in the American South"
- Zvi Gittelman, "Jews in the Soviet Disunion"
- Helene Kenvin, "Jews in the Caucasus and Central
- Joan Roland, "The Jews of India"
- Andrew Plaks, "The Jews of China"
- Norman Stillman, "Jews in the World of Islam"
- Judith Friedlander, "Jewish Intellectuals and the
Idea of the French Nation-State"
- Judith Elkin, "Latin American Jewry"
- Todd Endelman, "British Jewry Since World War II"
- Gerald Sorin, "Remnants of Jewish Life in Contemporary
Europe: A Personal Journey"
1994: Arabs and Israelis: Perspectives on the Past,
Prospects for the Future
- Lewis Brownstein, "The Arab-Israeli Conflict in
- Mitchell Cohen, "Nationalism and the Birth of the
- Anton Shammas, "The Morning After Revisited: The
Palestinians of Israel and the Would-be Palestinian
- Martin Edelman, "Equal Justice and the Palestinian
- Daniel Pipes, "Syria and the Peace Process in the
- Meron Benvenisti, "Settlement, Settlers, and the
Palestinians on the West Bank"
- Shlomo Avnieri, "Modern Zionism and the Peace Process
in the Middle East"
- Mervin Verbit, "Islam and Modern Arab Politics"
1995: Jews, Art, and Technology
- Samuel Kurinsky, "Creativity and the Jews"
- Eric Meyers, "Art and Architecture in Ancient Synagogues"
- Samuel Kurinsky, "The Glassmakers"
- Marc Epstein, "Dreams of Subversion: Religion, Art,
and Politics in the Middle Ages"
- Bill Vanaver, "Jewish Folk and Spiritual Music"
- Eitan Weiner-Kaplow, "Jewish Scribal Arts"
- Neil Gabler, "Jews and Hollywood"
- Moshe Lazar, "Marc Chagall: Painter and Poet"
- Lisa Epstein, "Jews and Medicine"
1996: Women and the Jewish Experience
- Tikva Frymer-Kensky, "Women at Sinai"
- Debra Schultz, "Northern Jewish Women and the Civil
- Carole Levin, "Jewish Women and Renaissance Drama"
- Deborah Dash Moore, "Hadassah and the Romance of
- Jenna W. Joselit, "Jewish Women, the Family, and
- Pamela Nadell, "'Her Mouth is Full of Wisdom': The
Movement for Women's Rabbinic Ordination"
- Riv-Ellen Prell, "Jewish Men, Jewish Women: Gender
and the Process of Americanization"
- Leila Gal Berner, "The New Jewish Woman and Life
- Lynn Davidman, "Women and Orthodoxy"
- Joyce Antler, "'Born Yelling': The Jewish Roots
- Gerald Sorin, "'Two Cheers' for Jewish Mothers"
1997: Jewish Biography
- William Strongin, "Profiles in Chutzpah: the Life
of King David"
- Tikva Frymer-Kensky, "Snippets of Lives: Views on
- Dorothy Bilik, "A Woman of Valor: The Life of Glückel
- Jacob Staub, "A Tale of Two Thinkers: Maimonides
- Leilah Gal Berner, "Doņa Gracia and Her Sisters:
Jewish Women in Medieval Spain"
- Lawrence Schiffman, "Josephus: Loyal Historian or
- David Teutsch, "An American Vision of Judaism: Mordecai
- Richard Fein, "Third Fiddler: On Being a Jewish
- Lewis Brownstein, "The Man Yitzhak Rabin"
- Jim Challey, "The Relative Truth About Albert Einstein"
1998: Guide for the Perplexed
- Tikva Frymer-Kensky, "Conceiving Creation"
- Lawrence Schiffman, "Rabbinic Ethics and Philosophy
in the Context of the Greco-Roman World"
- David Shatz, "Science and Spirituality in the Thought
- Leilah Gal Berner, "Jewish Views of the Messiah:
Second Temple to Third?"
- Stephen Garfinkel, "Kohelet: The Philosophy of Biblical
- Brian Schroeder, "Levinas's Metapaideia: Teaching
the Eye to Listen"
- Alan Udoff, "On Franz Rosenzweig and the Secret
of the New Thinking"
- Arthur Waskow, "Our Legs are Praying: Hasidic Foundations
of the Social Philosophy of Buber and Heschel"
1999: Jewish American Fiction: Projections and Self-Images
- Sanford Pinsker, "Is There Anything Left to Say
About Jewish-American Literature?"
- Nessa Rapoport, "A Taste of Text: A Jewish Writer
Reflects on the Millennium"
- Lev Raphael, "From Mysterious Jews to Jewish Mysteries:
A Child of Survivors Reflects on Writing and Identity"
- Richard Fein, "A Jewish Poet in America"
- Jay Neugeboren, "Imagining Jewish Fiction"
- Jonathan Rosen, "Between Tragedy and Hope: Writing
as a Jew at the Turn of the Millennium"
- Thane Rosenbaum, "Shattered Glass Fiction: Post-Holocaust
- Derek Rubin, "Old Values in a New World: Marginality
and Integrity in Saul Bellow's Herzog"
- Johanna Kaplan, "What Makes This Jewish Writer Jewish?"
- Morris Dickstein, "Three Generations of Jewish American
- Lawrence Shiffman, "Antisemitism Before Christianity:
The Origins of Judeophobia"
- Marc R. Cohen, "Antisemitism Under Crescent and
- Ursula Duba, "Tales from a Child of the Enemy"
- Richard Levy, "I Define Who is an Antisemite: The
History and Meaning of a Word"
- Leonard Dinnerstein, "Antisemitism in America"
- Lewis Brownstein, "Semite Versus Semite: Jewish
and Palestinian Images of one Another"
- Alan Udoff, "No Longer at Home in the World: Nazi
Evil Through theEyes of Jean Amery"
2001: The Search for Jewish American Culture
- Ilan Stavans, "The Star and the Crucifix: Jewish
Literature in Latin America"
- Stephen Whitfield, "'Fiddler on the Roof' as a Popular
- Phil Brown, "A Summer Eden: The Jewish Experience
in the Catskills"
- Andrea Most, "Assimilation in Rodgers and Hammerstein's
- Allen Guttmann, "'Hitting One Against Hitler': Jewish
Athletes and Racial Stereotypes"
- Donald Weber, "The Limits of Empathy: Hollywood's
Imagination of Jews in 'Crossfire' and 'Gentleman's
- Jack Kugelmass, "You Too Can Be a Jew: 'How to'
Books as Contemporary Etiquette Books"
- Henry Sapoznik, "The Stations That Spoke Your Language:
Yiddish-American Radio, 1925-1955"
2002: Reimagining the Holocaust
- Berel Lang, "Undoing Certain Mischievous Questions
About the Holocaust"
- Deborah Dash Moore, "Liberating Europe: Jewish GIs
Discover the Holocaust"
- Yaffa Eliach, "The Tower of Life at the US Holocaust
Memorial Museum: An Album of Humankind"
- James E. Young, "After- images of the Holocaust
in Contemporary Art and Architecture"
- Alan Mintz, "The Past and Future of Holocaust Memory
- Jeffrey Shandler, "Living Room Witnesses: the Holocaust
on American Television"
- Brana Gurewitsch, "Jewish Women in the Holocaust"
- Joyce Apsel, "Anne Frank: Identity, History, and
- Daniel Asa Rose, "The Making of Hiding Places: Our
Ancestors and Ourselves"
2003: The Pre-Holocaust Jewish World
- Jeffrey Shandler, "Autobiographies Of Jewish Youth
In Poland Before The Holocaust"
- Michael Stanislawski, "Jewish Life In Russia Before
The Holocaust: Myth And Reality"
- Eugene Sheppard, "'Squirming On The Pin-Point Of
'Why'?'": Weimar Jewish Intellectuals Between Conversion
- Paula Hyman, "Being A Jew In France Between The
- Lewis Brownstein, "Jewish Life In Palestine From
The Balfour Declaration To The 1939 White Paper"
- Deborah Dash Moore, "Jews In America Between The
2004: New Jewish-American Fiction
- Rachel Kadish, Jewish Writing: The Argument
- Joan Leegant, The Writing of Jewish Stories and Their Sources
- Dara Horn, How to be a Jewish Novelist Without Really Trying
- Paul Zakrzewski, Jewish American Fiction from the Edge
- Melvin Bukiet, Familiarity and Surprise
- Derek Rubin, Being Jewish and a Writer in America
2005: The World of Jewish Music
- Marcia Edelman, Discovering Jewish Music
- David Krakauer, The Klezmer World
- Robert Gluck, The Infusion and Reinterpretation of Elements from Host Cultures in Jewish Music
- Jeffrey Melnick, The Black-Jewish Century of American Music
- Hankus Netsky, Klezmer: Roots and Revival
- Carole Cowan, Contemporary Jewish Composers in America (post-1950s)
- Stanley Walden, Fiddlers on My Roof: On Being a Jewish Composer in the United States and Germany
- Austin Clarkson, Quest for a New Voice: Stefan Wolpe and the Modern Hebrew Art Song
- Carole Cowan, Women in Jewish Music
- Philip Ehrensaft, Why So Many
2006: The Jewish World in Documentary Film
- Love Story, Distinguished Professor Peter D.G. Brown
- Zuflucht in Shanghai, The Port of Last Resort, Associate Professor
Kristine Harris, Director of the Asian Studies Program
- Encounter in Ramallah, Professor Lewis Brownstein, former Chain, department of Political Science and International Relations
- Present Memory, Rabbi Daniel Polish, Director,
Hillel at SUNY New Paltz
- Jews and Buddhism, Rabbi William Strongin,
Jewish Studies Program
- Gender at the Grass Roots: Women in Nazi Germany, Professor Marion
- Undying Love, Professor Jan Schmidt, former
Chair, Department of English
- Mamadrama, Distinguished Professor Gerald Sorin,
Director, Jewish Studies Program
2007: Promised Lands: New Jewish-American Writing
- Derek Rubin, Writing from Home
- Jonathan Wilson, Goals
- Elisa Albert, Beshert.com
- Rivka Bernstein, Unto Each Lucky Bastard, His Own Lilac Tree
- Adam Wilson, The Porchies
- Aaron Hamburger, Lyudmila in the New World
- Yael Goldstein, Lonely, Lonely, Lonely Is the Lord of Hosts
- Lauren Grodstein, Homewrecker
- Jonathan Rosen, The True World
2008: The State of Israel at Sixty
- Rabbi Rena Blumenthal, Varieties of Liberal Judaism in Modern Israel
- Lewis Brownstein, Israel, and the Nature, Quality, and Consequences of ongoing Existential Threat
- Yoav Kaddar, Israel and the Arts: A “Siege Mentality”? and the Cultural Imagination (with a focus on dance)
- Barbara Mann 7 Simon H. Fabian, Tel Aviv, 1909-2009: The Creation of Jewish Urban Space
- Rakefet Zalashik, 60 years of Immigration: Ideology and the dynamics of becoming Israeli
- Tova Weitzman, No. Seventeen Was Anonymous
2010 The Changing Face(s) of Antisemitism
- Hasia Diner: Fitting Memorials: Postwar American Jews, the Holocaust, and the Shadow of Antisemitism
- Lewis Brownstein: Jews in the Mind of Modern Islam
- Eric Alterman: American Jews and Israel: The Burdens of Irresponsibility
- Peter Antelyes: Appropriating Anti-Semitism: How Jews Became Jewish-Americans Through Popular Culture
- William Strongin: Jews with Horns: the Ancient and Medieval Roots of Antisemitism
- Lawrence Bush: The Pride and AMBIVALENCE of Progressive Jews
2011: Jewish Americans and Popular Culture
- Jody Rosen: Yonkle Doodle Dandy: Tin Pan Alley's "Hebrew" Hits
- Lawrence Bush: Who Is a Jew? The Halakha of Lenny Bruce.”
- Jeffrey Shandler: Looking Back at "The Goldbergs": American Jewish Life on the Small Screen
- Natalie Friedman: Early Jewish American Literature: Anzia Yezierska
- Peter Antelyes: “Jews and Comix”
- Mark Kligman: Popular Jewish Music of Today: Hassidim,
- Klezmer and Debbie Friedman - What do they have in Common
- Yale Strom, "In the Memory of..." an original composition
2012: Jews and Modernism
- Natalie Friedman: Isaac Bashevis Singer and Modern American Jewish Writers
- Michelle Woods: Kafka in Amerika
- Peter Antelyes: George Gershwin and Modern Music
- Kenneth Silver: The Circle of Montparnasse: Jewish Artists in Paris 1905-1945
- Susan Goodman: Marc Chagall: Over the Rooftops of the World 1907-1917.
- Marilyn Reizbaum: James Joyce’s Judaic Other
- Linda Scherzer: “Through the Eyes of Enemies: Is the Middle East Ready for Peace?”
- Joel Mowbray: Israel’s Realities: Political and on-the-ground dynamics from the view of an American who’s in Israel every few months and What Will Bloom Following the Arab Spring?
2013: The Fall Louis and Mildred Resnick Lecture Series
Director, Gerald Sorin
The 25th Annual Holocaust Memorial Lecture
7:30 p.m. Wednesdays in Lecture Center 104
State University of New York at New Paltz
Preview announcement -- more details to follow:
Holocaust Literature for Young and Old:
Cross-Over Novels and Memoirs
Oct. 2 - Jan Z. Schmidt, Distinguished Professor of English, SUNY New Paltz
"Crossing the Line: What Are the Features of a Young Adult/Adult Literature Holocaust Work?"
Oct. 9 - Johanna Reiss, author of The Upstairs Room and The Journey Back
"The Holocaust: A Personal History"
Oct. 16 -- Francine Prose, author of Anne Frank: The Book and the Afterlife
Oct. 23 -- Rabbi William Strongin, Director of Jewish Studies, SUNY New Paltz
Oct. 30 -- Lawrence Bush, Editor, Jewish Currents
Resistance, Commemoration, and the Jewish Left
Personal Reflections on the Holocaust and Progressive Jewish Identity