The RSCA program
New Paltz students have the opportunity to work on projects associated with all majors. To get a sense of the great variety of discoveries and creations that are credited to our students, see the projects that have been funded through the SURE program and the AYURE program. Participate in our celebration of student achievement by visiting the Student Research Symposium page where you can read about recent projects.
The National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) describes a faculty mentored undergraduate research experience as a ‘high impact’ learning experience that promotes ‘deep learning’.
Studies have demonstrated that undergraduate researchers:
- show measurable gains in sophistication of epistemological reflection
- experience personal gains in independence and self-confidence
- show gains in career clarification and career preparation
- persist in their pursuit of an undergraduate degree at a higher rate than comparison groups
- pursue graduate education at a higher rate than comparison groups
- experience gains in specific skills such as making use of primary literature, formulating research hypotheses, interpreting data, and communicating the results of research
- as alumni they retrospectively report higher gains than comparison groups in skills such as carrying out research, acquiring information, and speaking effectively