| Blackboard | Hawkmail | Library | Zimbra

A-Z Index | Contact Us | People-Finder

» Current Students | » Faculty & Staff | » Future Students | » Parents | » Alumni, Donors & Friends | » Athletics | » Employment | » Give Today!

photo of a University Police officer, street signs and one of their cars

University Police

Hazardous Material Spills

In the event of a chemical spill or release of hazardous material into the atmosphere:

* Notify others in the areas of the spills or release of the hazardous material. Order/suggest evacuation if the circumstances so indicate.
* Notify University Police at x 2222 upon reaching a safe telephone.
* Give the following information to the University Police desk officer:
o your name
o your phone number
o the nature of the incident
o the location of the incident (building, floor, room number)
o the type of substance (if known)
o the quantity of the substance (estimate)
o the hazards (flammable, explosives, toxic)
o suggest the safest place to meet the responding campus police officer and/college official
o advise if there are any injuries and if an ambulance is needed

Do Not expose yourself unnecessarily to any unknown substances. Use caution and remember some toxic substances have no detectable odor.

"Right to Know" Law: The University Police Department has First Responder information available. Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for the chemicals and compounds that are used on campus may be obtained from the specific department office or specified MSDS location. As a last resort, emergency information may be obtained from the Coordinator for Environmental Health & Safety (x 3310).