- Photography students learn the verbal and critical thinking skills necessary to participate in contemporary discourse of the field and investigate various methodologies in the development of significant portfolios.
- The photography faculty includes full-time professors who are active exhibiting artists and dedicated teachers. Faculty instruct students in advanced techniques in digital imaging and printing, black-and-white darkroom processes, large-format view camera photography, video, and studio lighting.
- Recent alumni have found successful careers as commercial studio photographers, practicing photojournalists, entrepreneurs, in-house industrial photographers, photo editors, gallery/museum personnel, and skilled computer technicians. Many continue as exhibiting artists and attend some of the best graduate programs in the country.
- Most photography BFAs serve as interns with professional artists and organizations, providing great insight and helping them formulate their directions for the future. Students regularly intern with the Center of Photography in Woodstock, a great jump-off point for entering the art scene regionally. The department also organizes external student exhibitions with students.
- The department plans to host an Alumni Day to give students an opportunity to network with graduates of the program and have a greater foundation for success when they enter the job market.