- The English Department has excellent, award-winning teachers who are experts in the classroom and in their fields of research and creative activity. Small classes allow students to receive personal attention from professors who provide careful, thoughtful advising and mentoring.
- The English curriculum has been updated and diversified to offer courses ranging from Shakespeare, Milton, and Austen to Woolf, Faulkner, Kundera, and Lahiri; creative writing courses in fiction, poetry, nonfiction, memoir, and young adult literature; and courses in a new interdisciplinary digital studies program.
- The English graduate program offers small seminars of 15 students on topics including contemporary metafiction, Milton, the Beats, Shakespeare, Woolf, Victorian literature, and 20th century American and British fiction. The teaching assistant program offers students an opportunity to be trained as teachers while earning tuition credit and a stipend.
- Each year, the English Department brings in two major speakers in literary criticism and creative writing. Students have had the opportunity to hear and meet speakers such as Helen Vendler, Marianne Hirsch, Billy Collins, Nancy Armstrong, Martin Espada, Jessica Abel, Tobias Wolff, and Andrea Cohen.
- The department’s undergraduate and graduate programs provide students with a well-rounded liberal arts education, which prepares them for careers in teaching, publishing, administration in private companies, government, and non-profit agencies. The programs also prepare students for graduate school in fields including law, medicine, business and library science. Students have interned with Chronogram, Hudson Valley Magazine, the New York Public Interest Research Group, and Michael Kors, among many other companies and organizations.
- Study Abroad / Exchange
- International Scholarships and Fellowships
- International Student and Scholar Services
- International Recruitment
- International Undergraduate Admissions
- Haggerty English Language Program
- Institute for International Business
- SUNY Turkey Dual Diploma Programs
- SUNY Global Engagement Program
- SUNY Model European Union
- East-West Living and Learning Community
- Romance Languages Living and Learning Community
- Undergraduate Admission
- Virtual Campus Tour
- First Year Programs
- Tuition & Fees
- Honors Program
- Financial Aid