Tools for Communication
ALL work order forms and tools for communication are now located on my.newpaltz.edu
For all mail-related inquiries, please call (845) 257-3122
Office of Communication & Marketing
Phone: (845) 257-3245
Fax: (845) 257-3345
Haggerty Administration Building 411
1 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, NY 12561-2443
(Marketing, Media Relations, Digital Media)
Design, Print & Mail Services
(845) 257–3997 Fax
Print and Mail Services
(845) 257–3997 Fax
Other Campus PR Contacts:
Sports Information Director, Athletics
Phone: (845) 257-3927
Art Services Assist
Phone: (845) 257-3858
- General news and event releases [how to | view releases]
- Design Services
- Campus Digital Signage
- Emergency communication (cancellation and delays)
- Experts Database
- Media Relations
- Mail Services
- my.newpaltz.edu, in collaboration with Computer Services
- Print Services
- RSS Feeds
- Web Management: The college's main Web site, www.newpaltz.edu, and departmental sites
- The Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art media relations and publicity
- New Paltz Connect Monthly E-Newsletter
- The New Paltz Magazine
To read our comprehensive guidelines, visit the New Paltz Style Guide.
All of us in Communication & Marketing look forward to working with you. Please feel free to stop by our office located in Haggerty Administration Building, Room 411 or call us at (845) 257-3245 if you have any questions.
Where/how can I post announcements electronically?
IF YOUR INFORMATION IS FOR CURRENT STUDENTS:
There are six ways we can get messages out to students electronically.
College's home page - www.newpaltz.edu
In addition, general information for students can be posted on the college's home page (www.newpaltz.edu). Items in the news area rotate regularly, so announcements can only stay there for a brief period of time. Occasionally there may be additional appropriate places within the college's main Web site to post special announcements and information, and these locations will be determined by the Office of Communication & Marketing.
Contact: Matthew Skillman, email@example.com x3245
Blackboard - https://blackboard.newpaltz.edu
Announcements can be posted on Blackboard for students and faculty. Only students and faculty that login to Blackboard for course work or additional resources will see these announcements.
Contact: Linda Smith, Academic Computing firstname.lastname@example.org x3188
Department Web Site
Your department's Web site is a great place to post announcements for students with a major in your department, especially if you publicize the existence of your Web site, and that news will be posted there regularly. Submit an update using our work order system, or use OmniUpdate if you have access to manage your department site through our content management system.
If you would like to send an e-mail to all students, contact the Office of Communication & Marketing at x3245 or e-mail email@example.com. Note: All students are required to check their @newpaltz.edu e-mail account regularly for official communication from the college.
Please be advised if you request an announcement to be posted in the Campus Announcement or Personal Announcement channel in my.newpaltz.edu, your announcement will also be e-mailed through the system to the appropriate people's New Paltz e-mail account. There is no need to contact the Office of Communication & Marketing for this additional step in this case.
If you would like to send targeted e-mails, there are several options:
- Advisors can send e-mails to all or select advisees in my.newpaltz.edu under the Faculty/Staff Services tab in the My.Advisees channel.
- Professors can send e-mails to all or select students in any of their courses in my.newpaltz.edu under the Faculty/Staff Services tab in the Manage My.Courses channel.
- Student Advising staff members can send e-mails to all students who have not declared a major in my.newpaltz.edu under the Faculty/Staff Services tab under the My.Tools channel.
- To send an e-mail to students of a particular major, the department chair should contact Linda Smith in Academic Computing to enable this option for them within Blackboard (https://blackboard.newpaltz.edu). This feature will also be available in my.newpaltz.edu through the Office of Communication & Marketing later this year.
- If the announcement is critical and timely, and affects the majority of the student body, an e-mail can be sent to all students (at their @newpaltz.edu account) by contacting the Office of Communication & Marketing at x3245 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF YOUR INFORMATION IS FOR FACULTY/STAFF
There are several ways to reach all faculty/staff with announcements electronically.
1. A brief headline can be posted on the college's home page (www.newpaltz.edu). Headlines should be brief and link to a Web page with further details and information.
Contact: Suzanne Grady, email@example.com x3245
2. The administration sends official New Paltz communication and announcements to a list that all SUNY New Paltz faculty and staff are subscribed to. If you have any questions about this list, please contact Jon Lewit, Asst. Vice President of Information Systems in Computer Services at x3130 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the message is not timely, you can submit the item for inclusion in an upcoming issue of News Pulse.
3. Announcements can be posted under the Campus Announcements channel, which are also e-mailed to all students, faculty and staff. See the first section under my.newpaltz.edu for students above for more information. Announcements specifically for faculty and staff can be posted under the Personal Announcements channel, which are also e-mailed to all faculty and staff.
Two additional listservs exist, depending on the topic of your message.
- email@example.com is a voluntary list that can be used for requests, announcements, rentals, and open discussions. This is a voluntary list, and therefore not all faculty/staff are subscribed to it.
To subscribe, contact Paul Chauvet in Computer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER ELECTRONIC ANNOUNCEMENTS
For any other targeted announcements, or if you're not sure where your message would best be placed, consult with the Director of Office of Communication & Marketing for recommendations on best methods and practices for sending electronic communications.
last updated 9/28/11