The college is in the process of phasing out its Nursing program as a result of reductions in the New Paltz operating budget. No new students are being admitted to the program. Students currently matriculated in the Nursing Program will be given an opportunity to complete their degree program. For more information, please see the questions & answers attached to the 2009-10 Budget Plan Announcement.
For admissions-related questions, please contact Lisa Jones, Dean of Admission: email@example.com or (845) 257-3200.
Current students who have questions, please contact Linda Scheetz, Associate Professor: firstname.lastname@example.org or (845) 257-2925.
The college is no longer accepting applications for the nursing program.
The Department of Nursing offers an upper-division Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Associate degree nurses enter the program as transfer students. Students who meet the requirements for admission to the nursing major enter the program with junior year status. Up to 70 lower division liberal arts and nursing credits may be accepted for transfer. Hospital-trained RNs with no prior college-credits enter through an individualized self-managed program of credit-by-examination, which includes CLEP, Excelsior College Exams, and the ACE-II Exams. The SUNY New Paltz BSN program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing admissions requirements:
- Graduation from a state approved associate degree program in nursing with a graduating cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better.
- Current licensure as a registered nurse in New York State and professional liability coverage.
- Ability to meet both college and clinical agency health requirements.
- Completion of the following pre-requisite
courses with a grade of C or better in each course:
* English Composition I & II 6 cr.
* Introductory Sociology 3 cr.
* General Psychology 3 cr.
* Developmental or Child Psychology 3 cr.
* Anatomy and Physiology I & II 7-8 cr.
* Microbiology 3-4 cr.
* Introductory Statistics 3 cr. (may be taken after matriculation at SUNY New Paltz)
Current Nursing Majors:
Together with transfer credits based on specific pre-requisite courses, 120 credits are required for graduation. All upper-division course work must be successfully completed with a grade of C or higher for progression in the curriculum and graduation from the major.
Required Courses (45 credits)
|NUR300||Perspectives in Professional Socialization||2|
|NUR310||Leadership and Management||3|
|NUR315||Business Environment of Nursing||3|
|NUR340||Contemporary Health Education Issues||3|
|NUR400||Research in Nursing||3|
|NUR394, ANT481||Non-West Health Beliefs or Transcultural Health||