Municipal and land use experts
to offer legal education program
The Center for Research, Regional Education and Outreach (CRREO) at the State University of New York at New Paltz, in collaboration with the law firm of Jacobowitz and Gubits, LLP, Walden, will offer a program for municipal and land use law attorneys, titled “Managing Financial Crisis at the Local Level: Municipal, Land Use, and Bankruptcy Law Tools,” beginning with registration
at 4 p.m. on Thursday, April 30, in Lecture Center room 102.
According to Dr. Gerald Benjamin, associate vice president for regional engagement and director of the CRREO, this is the first Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program held at SUNY New Paltz and its focus is to provide information and tools that will be useful to a broad range of municipal and land-use officials during this time of economic crisis.
“We have assembled a highly experienced and diverse group of individuals for this program,” said Benjamin. “Non-attorneys such as municipal officials and administrators, real estate developers, realtors, and financial planners are encouraged to attend since a great deal of the information will be useful to them, as well.”
The program begins at 5 p.m. with a welcome from Jerry Jacobowitz, Jacobowitz and Gubits, LLP and College President Steven Poskanzer.
This will be followed by presentations on:
• “Saving Municipalities Money: Government Collaboration and Consolidation Procedures” given by Dr. Benjamin and Donald G. Nichol, Esq.
• “Municipal Finance During Financial Crisis” given by David B. Gutbits, Esq. and Richard Tortora
• “Property Rights and Land Use Approvals During Falling Real Estate Markets: What Can Bankruptcy Law Do for You?” given by J. Benjamin Gailey, Esq. and Michael L. Carey, Esq.
• “Recent Cases and Issues of Interest to Hudson Valley Municipal and Land Use Attorneys” given by John C. Cappello, Esq.; George W. Lithco, Esq.; and Burton I. Dorfman, Esq.
• “Ethics Issues for Municipal and Land Use Law Attorneys, Including Amendments to Code of Professional Responsibility” given by Steven G. Leventhal, Esq.
To pre-register call the Regional Education Office of CRREO at (845) 257-2906. Registration for attorneys is $75. Municipal officials may register for $50.
As per CLE requirements, discounts/scholarships are available, if well justified, on a case-by-case basis. Contact Regional Education at (845) 257-2894.
Located in the heart of a dynamic college town, 90 minutes from metropolitan New York City, the State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective college of about 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
One of the most well-regarded public colleges in the nation, New Paltz delivers an extraordinary number of majors in Business, Liberal Arts, Sciences, Engineering, Fine and Performing Arts and Education.
New Paltz embraces its culture as a community where talented and independent minded people from around the world create close personal links with real scholars and artists who love to teach.