Alumni back in Hopfer House
NEW PALTZ -- With festive holiday d¿cor prepared and placed by the New Paltz Garden Club, the State University of New York at New Paltz Alumni Affairs Office recently reopened the doors to its offices in the Hopfer Admissions and Alumni Center.
The Hopfer Admissions and Alumni Center, built in 1911 by New Paltz native James Maclaurey, was purchased by SUNY New Paltz. It was formally named for class of 1919 alumna Dorothea Hopfer in recognition of her lead gift that allowed for the house's initial restoration.
A second round of construction to enlarge and renovate the house began in 1998, following a successful fund-raising drive by the SUNY New Paltz Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the growth and enhancement of SUNY New Paltz.
With the construction dust settled, the house now provides office and meeting space for the Admissions Office and Alumni Affairs - thus providing full-service support to alumni and "future alumni."
"Hopfer House is a great reflection of our campus," said Acting President Steven Poskanzer. "It's warm and inviting for new visitors and always has an open door for alumni - it is a campus community 'home base.'"
NOTE TO EDITORS: Photos of the Hopfer Admissions and Alumni Center with the New Paltz Garden Club's decorations are available online at www.newpaltz.edu/news/images/gardenclubhopfer.html.
Located in the heart of a dynamic college town, 90 minutes from metropolitan New York City, the State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective college of about 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
One of the most well-regarded public colleges in the nation, New Paltz delivers an extraordinary number of majors in Business, Liberal Arts, Sciences, Engineering, Fine and Performing Arts and Education.
New Paltz embraces its culture as a community where talented and independent minded people from around the world create close personal links with real scholars and artists who love to teach.