SUNY New Paltz’s clinically rich 15-credit Intensive Teacher Institute in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages is designed for NYS professionally certified teachers who have an interest in working with multilingual learners. This page outlines the program requirements. Please read it carefully and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
To participate in this program, participants must be employed within a school/school district and secure nomination by their principal and/or school district administration.
The following courses are offered in a HYBRID format and are required of all CR-ITI Participants:
- SED 573-96: Teaching English as a New Language I
- SED 576-96: Teaching English as a New Language II
- SED 575-96: Teaching Literacy in English as a New Language
- SED 577-96: Applied Linguistics for Teachers of English as a New Language
- SED 580-96: English Grammar for Teachers of English as a New Language
- Participants must successfully complete the NYS Content Specialty Test (CST) in English to Speakers of Other Languages.
- Participants must have completed all the required state-mandated workshops.
- Participants must have demonstrated successful completion of twelve credits of college level coursework in a language other than English or the equivalent College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits.
THE SCHOOL/SCHOOL DISTRICTS SHOULD:
- Provide professionally certified teachers a letter verifying employment and recommending them for the TESOL: Clinically Rich Intensive Teacher Institute;
- Provide classroom(s) for participants to engage in clinical activities;
- Identify highly qualified Bilingual or TESOL certified mentor teacher(s) within their district(s) to mentor participant(s) in the CR-ITI program;
- Provide at least one continuous school year of mentored clinical experience for participant(s) by mentor teacher(s);
- Provide opportunities for participant(s) to engage in classroom activities--3-5 hours per week--within the ENL classroom(s);
- Provide opportunities for the participant(s), upon completion of the program, to engage in sheltered instruction for ELLs within his/her classroom.
|Course Tuition||Number of Courses||Total Tuition Cost|
|$1250/3-credit course||5 courses||$6250.00|
|Participant Stipend||Number of Credits||Total Reimbursement*|
|$300/1-credit||15 credit (maximum)||$4500.00|
|Participant Cost after Reimbursement: $1750.00
Textbooks and other fees are not included
* Participants are only eligible to receive a reimbursement if they successfully complete all five courses and obtain certification. Participants who complete the required coursework, but fail to obtain certification will neither be eligible for a stipend, nor will they reimbursed for costs they have incurred.