The Luigi and Anita Traverso Endowment has been created by Professor Emeritus Giancarlo Traverso to honor his and his brother Giuseppe's parents. It provides funding for scholarships to benefit SUNY New Paltz students interested in Italian Studies and for an annual lecture series open to the public. The endowment seeks to increase enrollment in the Italian Studies Program, to expand the program's service to the Hudson Valley community, to offer forums for discussion on the Italian and Italian-American experience and to help establish a major in Italian Studies.
The endowment supports:
- The Luigi and Anita Traverso Italian Studies Lecture Series
- The Luigi and Anita Traverso Italian Studies Scholarships
- The Luigi and Anita Traverso Italian Studies Endowment will provide scholarship support for at least one student each year who is either a Contract Major and/or Contract Minor.
- Applicant must be a junior attending full time in good academic standing.
- Applicant must have completed the New Paltz intermediate Italian language sequence (courses ITA201 and ITA202) or equivalent.
- Applicant must have an overall 3.0 GPA and 3.2 GPA in Italian Studies courses.
- Scholarships will provide a maximum of $2,000 to spend at least an academic semester abroad studying in a recognized Italian University with nine or more transfer credits earned in "subject matter" courses such as literature, history, art history, mathematics, economics, psychology and philosophy.
If you would like more information, please contact the Coordinator of the Italian Studies Program.