Exchange Student Course Enrollmlent

Course Enrollment

Exchange Students coming to SUNY New Paltz are able to register in courses as non-degree students while remaining degree candidates at their home institution. Grades earned at SUNY New Paltz can transfer to your degree program at your home institution.

How many classes should I take?

In order to maintain J-1 exchange status, exchange students are required to register for a minimum of 12 credits during the academic semesters; generally, this means 4 classes.

How do I choose my classes?

You will receive a Course Selection form as part of the application process that asks you to choose eight courses, in order of priority, in which you are interested in enrolling – this does not mean you will be enrolled in eight classes. You can review SUNY New Paltz courses by visiting the SUNY New Paltz schedule of classes and click on the semester when you will be studying. Please make sure you are looking at the correct semester: if you will be studying in the Spring 2014 semester, make sure you are viewing the schedule of classes for Spring 2014.

How do I register?

After we receive your Course Selection form, we will start the registration process on your behalf. If special permission is required for a course, we will work with you and the relevant department. The International Student Office is here to assist you with the enrollment process, both before you arrive and when you are here.

How do my grades get transferred back to my home university?

After you have completed your studies with us, SUNY New Paltz will send an official transcript directly to your home university. You will also receive a certificate of participation before you leave SUNY New Paltz.