Extension of stay to continue in the same academic program
Why apply for extension of your I-20?
International students with F-1 status are required to register as full-time students every semester and are limited in the amount of time they may continue in an academic or language program. The stated length of study and expected completion date on the initial I-20 to begin your current degree program at SUNY New Paltz determines whether you must apply for a "Program Extension" to remain in the U.S. to complete your academic program.
If you will not be able to complete your current academic program by the program end date on your I-20, you must apply for a program extension before that date. If you do not file for an extension, or if you file after your program end date, you lose your student status and you will need to apply for reinstatement. Reinstatement is a complicated and expensive procedure that may take months for approval.
- You must be in lawful F-1 status under the visa supervision of SUNY New Paltz.
- You must have maintained unbroken full time enrollment for every semester of your academic program in which you were in F-1 status.
- Delays in completing your studies must not be caused by academic probation or suspension.
You must submit all materials for the extension to the International Student Programs Office (van den Berg 201) 10 days prior to your I-20 completion date.
Submit the following documentation to the International Student Programs Office in van den Berg 201.
- Financial documentation dated within the past three months to cover the costs of the additional time needed to complete your program.
- The Academic Program Extension Form completed by your academic adviser stating the academic reasons for your need to extend your stay at SUNY New Paltz and the anticipated date of completion of your program of study. PRINT Academic Program Extension Form
The International Student Programs Office will review your application for eligibility, prepare a new SEVIS I-20 for extension of stay and update your SEVIS record. We will contact you when your new I-20 is ready- remember to sign and date the new I-20.
If you have questions about your eligibility for a program extension, please contact the International Student Programs Office well before the program end date on your I-20.