Extension of Stay to Continue in the Same Academic Program
International Students with F-1 status are required to register full time every semester and are limited in the amount of time they may continue in an academic or language program. The stated length of study and expected completion date on the initial I-20 to begin your current degree program at SUNY New Paltz determines whether you must apply for a "Program Extension" to remain in the US to complete your academic program. Item 5 on your I-20 shows your Program End Date and reads "...and complete studies not later than (date)______." When you first entered the United States, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services recorded this date as your expected completion date.
If you will not be able to complete your current academic program by the program end date on your I-20, you must apply for a program extension before that date. If you do not file for an extension, or if you file after your program end date, you lose your student status and you will need to apply for reinstatement. Reinstatement is a complicated and expensive procedure that may take months for approval.
- You must be in lawful F-1 status under the visa supervision of SUNY New Paltz.
- You must have maintained unbroken full time enrollment for every semester of your academic program in which you were in F-1 status.
- Delays in completing your studies must not be caused by academic probation or suspension.
You must submit your application to the International Student Adviser at the Center for International Programs before the program end date on your form I-20.
Make an appointment with the International Student Adviser. Please bring the following documents with you to the appointment:
- Your current SEVIS I-20, all previously issued I-20s, your passport and I-94 card
- Financial documentation dated within the past 3 months to cover the costs of the additional time needed to complete your program.
- A letter from your academic adviser stating the academic reasons for your need to extend your stay at SUNY New Paltz and the expected date of completion of your program of study.
The International Student Adviser will review your application for eligibility, prepare a new SEVIS I-20 for extension of stay and update your SEVIS record. We will contact you when your new I-20 is ready- remember to sign and date the new I-20.
If you have questions about your eligibility for a program extension, please contact the International Student Adviser well before the program end date on your I-20.