International Student Services: Current Students
Curricular Practical Training
Definition - Curricular Practical Training is employment pursuant to a required or optional internship that is an integral part of the established curriculum of your school.
Eligibility - You must be a degree candidate who has been in lawful status as a full-time student for at least one academic year. An internship must be part of an elective or required course in the regular curriculum (listed as a course offering in your school's bulletin) or a specific requirement to earn your degree. F-1 students are not limited in the amount of curricular practical training they may utilize however; you will be ineligible for optional practical training following completion of all degree requirements if you engage in one year or more of full-time curricular practical training. Curricular practical training requires written permission from the International Student Adviser and is specific to the employer, location, and period of time indicated on the form.
Procedure - Submit the following required documentation to the International Student Adviser as early as 90 days but no less than 10 days before you wish to begin employment:
- CPT Checklist
- CPT Faculty Recommendation
- Letter offering internship employment from your employer MUST include the following information:
- beginning and ending dates of employment
- how many hours you will work weekly
- a description of duties in sufficient detail to clearly show them as appropriate to meeting the requirements of your internship
- location where employment will take place; employer address
The deadline to submit all the completed CPT documents to the International Student Office is the day REGISTRATION ENDS each semester/session. CPT applications will not be accepted after that date. See the Academic Calendar
The International Student Adviser will:
- Review your application for eligibility
- If you are eligible, issue a new I-20 and return it to you
- Notify the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) of the approved period of curricular practical training.
Special Considerations - You are still required to register full-time if you are authorized for curricular practical training during the academic year. Curricular practical training that exceeds 20 hours per week during the academic semesters constitutes full-time CPT. Students who engage in full-time CPT for twelve months or more prior to graduation will not be eligible for optional practical training before or after completion of studies.
Contact the International Student Adviser if you have questions about the requirements for curricular practical training.