Institute for International Business

» Current Students | » Faculty & Staff | » Future Students | » Parents | » Alumni, Donors & Friends | » Athletics | » Employment | » Give Today!

Institute for International Business

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What business courses are available?

A. Both graduate and undergraduate courses are available. Contact the IIB Program Coordinator for information about courses being offered in upcoming semesters. (Please note that not all of these courses are offered to IIB students each semester.) IIB students do have the opportunity to join regular SUNY New Paltz students in open available business courses. Many IIB students qualify for the graduate courses.


Q. What kind of students attend IIB?

A. IIB students come from all over the world. They are preparing themselves to enter the global marketplace with business and language skills that will help them get the jobs they want. To qualify for admission, they must have at least two years of university education in a business-related field, be over the age of 21, and should have some on-the-job experience. In addition, they should be able to demonstrate ability in English with 550 / 213 / 80 on the TOEFL or an equivalent test of English.

Q. What kinds of qualifications do the IIB instructors have?

A. The faculty, who teach business, public relations, business English, and American culture, bring with them a wide range of experience. Many of them have doctoral degrees in their field of expertise in addition to many years of on-the-job experience. You will have access to business and public relations professors and practitioners, business English teachers, and people who have been introducing American culture to international students for many years.

Q. Do IIB graduates receive credit or a certificate of completion?

A.  Graduates of the IIB program receive a certificate of completion in American Business Practices and are issued continuing education units. Each continuing education unit issued is equal to ten contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction.  Continuing education units are not equivalent to academic credit.  Certificates of completion and transcripts are awarded at the graduation ceremony in New York City at the end of the program.

Q. What is the village of New Paltz like?

A. New Paltz is a small college town with many shops and restaurants that cater to the college community within walking distance of the college. It has a long history that goes back to the seventeenth century when the French Huguenots settled here after living in Germany for a number of years. Some of the original houses built by the Huguenots are available for touring, again within walking distance of the college. Many of the local inhabitants are descendants of the Huguenots, and bear the names of their ancestors.

Q. What is there to do in the fall and spring semesters while I am there?

A. Here is a sampling of events that occur in both semesters: Year-Round Events

Q. What kind of visa is required to attend the IIB?

A. SUNY New Paltz will issue you the required DS-2019 to obtain a J-1 Intern visa at your local consulate or embassy. Visit the visa information page for more details.

Q. Do I need health insurance?

A. Health insurance is mandatory and is included in the program fee.


Q. What kind of health care is available?

A. There is a health center on campus which will take care of routine health problems. In more serious cases, local doctors can be used. If a student needs hospitalization, a local hospital will be used. The health insurance covers all these types of care, although copayments may be required. If a student needs to see a dentist, a local dentist will be recommended, but the SUNY health insurance does not include dental benefits.

Q. What kind of immunizations must I have to enter the United States?

A. You must show proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella. A combination of one measles and one combined MMR OR two measles and one mumps and one rubella immunization will fulfill this requirement. The immunizations must have occurred after your first birthday.

Q. Will there be an orientation to SUNY New Paltz after I arrive?

A. Yes, you will arrive several days before classes start so that you can receive an orientation which will help you to learn more about life and customs in the United States; Local community resources (e.g., public transportation, medical centers, schools, libraries, recreation centers, and banks); The local health center, emergency assistance, and insurance coverage; description of the IIB program; Rules that you are required to follow under the IIB program; The address of the sponsor and the name and telephone number of the responsible officer (i.e., Program Coordinator); and the address and telephone number of the Exchange Visitor Program Services of the Department of State and a copy of the Exchange Visitor Program brochure outlining the regulations relevant to the you, the exchange visitor.

Q. What kind of roommate will I have?

A. Your roommate in New Paltz will be another IIB student. In New York City, you will again share a room with an IIB student. You will generally be housed with one roommate, although in some cases, you may have two roommates.

Q. What are the deadlines for applying?

A. The deadline for the fall semester is June 1, and the deadline for the spring semester is November 1.

Q. What kind of local transportation is available?

A. Most of your needs will be met on campus or within walking distance of campus. There is a local shuttle that is free to students that can take you to most destinations in town.  If you want to travel to New York City, frequent bus service from New Paltz is available. Round-trip bus fare to New York City is $30 - $40.

Q. Can I exchange money in New Paltz?

A. It is difficult to change foreign currencies into US dollars in New Paltz, so you should plan on bringing about $200 with you. Your bank card can be used most places while you are in the United States, as can most credit cards.

Q. How much will books cost, and where will I buy them?

A. All the textbooks and other materials you may need are available in the college bookstore. Textbooks are very expensive. You may need as much as $200 or more for textbooks. Some students agree to share books, while other buy used books. It is sometimes possible to sell your books after you have used them.


Q. Will my internship be arranged before I arrive in New Paltz?

A. Internships are usually arranged during the eight weeks that you are studying in New Paltz. This is because most employers require a face-to-face interview with potential interns. Shortly after you arrive, the SUNY New Paltz Career Advising Center will help you with your resume, and you will do a videotaped mock interview to help you hone your interviewing skills. Some students will interview with two or even three organizations before they are offered an internship. Your transportation to New York City for two (2) interviews is covered in the cost of the program.

Q. Can I continue to work in my internship after the program has officially ended?

A. The J-1 Intern visa may be extended for up to 12 months.  Speak to the IIB program coordinator if you are interested in extending your internship time.  There is a fee and several requirements that must be met before you can extend.  NOTE: if you extend beyond the end of the program, you will have to pay for housing and all other expenses.

Q. How long before my J-1 program starts can I arrive in the United States? How long can I remain after my program ends?

A. J-1 exchange visitors and their J-2 dependents are admitted for "duration of status" (D/S), which is defined as the period indicated in item 3 of Form DS-2019, plus a 30-day grace period following the program end date, "for the purposes of travel." In addition, exchange visitors can enter the United States up to 30 days before the program begin date listed on their Form DS-2019.

Q. Are scholarships available?

A. Unfortunately, scholarships are not available through the IIB. However, many students come on scholarships from the governments of their own countries or are sponsored by their employers.

Q. Where can I find more information about SUNY New Paltz?

A. See this page